Performance analysis of DRX mechanism using batch arrival vacation queueing system with N-policy in LTE-A networks
- 56 Downloads
Power saving and Quality of Service (QoS) are the two significant aspects of Long Term Evolution-Advanced (LTE-A) networks. DRX (“Discontinuous Reception”) is a mechanism, commonly exercised to enhance the power saving competency of a User Equipment (UE) in LTE-A networks. In this paper, based on the kind of traffic running at the UE, a new appliance is proposed to switch the DRX mechanism from the power active state to the power saving state and vice versa. We mathematically investigate this switching technique in DRX mechanism using the M[X]/G/1 vacation queue system with N-policy. Various performance and energy metrics are obtained and examined numerically. Further, the optimal value of N as well as the maximum number of DRX cycles, are computed to obtain the minimal amount of power consumption. This study concludes the selection guidelines for choosing the optimal values of N and the maximum number of DRX cycles.
KeywordsLTE -A networks DRX mechanism M[X]/G/1 vacation queueing system Power saving Delay
Authors are thankful to the editor and two anonymous reviewers for their valuable suggestions and comments, which helped improve the paper to great extent.
This study received financial support from the Department of Telecommunications (DoT), India. Further, the first author would like to thank the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India for providing her financial support through Senior Research Fellowship.
- 1.Wang K, Li X, Ji H, Du X (2016) Modeling and optimizing the LTE discontinuous reception mechanism under self-similar traffic. IEEE Trans Veh Technol. https://doi.org/10.1109/2328232
- 7.Alouf S, Altman E, Azad AP (2008) Analysis of an M/G/1 queue with repeated inhomogeneous vacations with application to IEEE 802.16e power saving mechanism. In: Proceedings of IEEE 5th international conference on quantitative evaluation of systems, (QEST’08), pp 27–36Google Scholar
- 8.Dimitriou I (2014) A queueing system with probabilistic inhomogeneous vacations for modeling power-saving in wireless systems with retransmissions. In: Proceedings of the information sciences and systems 2014. Springer, Cham, pp 217–228Google Scholar
- 11.Anisimov A, Andreev S, Lokhanova A, Turlikov A (2011) Energy efficient operation of 3GPP LTE-advanced and IEEE 802.16 m downlink channel. In: Proceedings of the IEEE 3rd international congress on ultra modern telecommunications and control systems and workshops (ICUMT), pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 16.Yu YP, Feng KT (2012) Traffic-based DRX cycles adjustment scheme for 3GPP LTE systems. In: Proceedings of the IEEE 75th vehicular technology conference (VTC), pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 19.Zhou L, Xu H, Tian H, Gao Y, Du L, Chen L (2008) Performance analysis of power saving mechanism with adjustable DRX cycles in 3GPP LTE. In: Proceedings of the IEEE 68th vehicular technology conference (VTC), 2008, pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 26.Gross D, Harris CM (2004) Fundamentals of queueing theory, 3rd edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 30.Baek S, Choi BD (2011) Analysis of discontinuous reception (DRX) with both downlink and uplink packet arrivals in 3GPP LTE. In: Proceedings of the 6th international conference on queueing theory and network applications, pp 8–16Google Scholar