Return Control of Electronic Power Steering Unequipped with an Angle Sensor
- 10 Downloads
A steering wheel may not be able to return to the center position due to friction torque in its mechanism. Thus, in this study, a return controller is developed to improve the returnability of an electric power steering vehicle without an angle sensor. The aligning moment is well estimated on the basis of a Kalman filter estimator. A trigger rule is also proposed to switch between assist and return controls. Finally, the compensation current for the return control is regulated in accordance with the aligning moment and vehicle speeds. Simulation and real vehicle results show that the proposed control system can significantly improve the returnability of the steering system.
Key wordsReturn control Electric power steering Aligning moment estimates Compensation control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, B.-C., Hsu, W.-F. and Huang, S. J. (2008a). Slidingmode return control of electric power steering. SAE Paper No. 2008-01-0499.Google Scholar
- Dianfu, H., Wei, G. and Qianchao, W. (2014). Design on return to center control of electric power steering system based on angle of steering wheel. Automobile Technology, 10, 24–26.Google Scholar
- Gao, Y., Chan, L., Yuan, C. Y. and Yuan, C. (2007). Research on the return control of electric power steering system. Trans. Chinese Society of Agricultural Machinery 38, 5, 6–10.Google Scholar
- Kurishige, M., Tanaka, H., Inou, N., Tsutsumi, K. and Kifuku, T. (2002). An EPS control strategy to improve steering maneuverability on slippery roads. SAE Paper No. 2002-01-0618.Google Scholar
- Kurishige, M., Wada, S., Kifuku, T., Inoue, N., Nishiyama, R. and Otagaki, S. H. (2000). A new EPS control strategy to improve steering wheel returnability. SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0815.Google Scholar
- Liu, H., Chen, G. and Zong, C. (2016). Friction compensation control method research of electric power steering system. SAE Paper No. 2016-01-1545.Google Scholar
- Yi, L., Guobiao, S., Changfen, Z., Wanzhong, C., Xin, Z. and Wangyu, W. (2003). Study on control strategy of electric power steering. Automobile Technology, 3, 8–11.Google Scholar
- Zhuo, S., Ling, G. and Hui, Z. (2014). Study on initiative return-to-center control of electric power steering system based on steering wheel angle. Forest Engineering 30, 1, 150–153.Google Scholar