Discrete Optimization Design of Tailor-Welded Blanks (TWBs) Thin-Walled Structures Under Dynamic Crashing
- 18 Downloads
Tailor-welded blanks (TWBs) thin-walled structures have been widely applied in field of automotive and construction due to their significant advantages in saving weight and improving crashworthiness. To further understand and improve crashing performance of TWB structures, this paper conducts parametric analysis and optimization design on TWB thin-walled tubes. Firstly, the numerical model of dynamic crashing event of different TWB tubes is derived from physical experiments. The parametric analysis results show that the material and thickness combinations have significant effects on the crashing performance. The energy-absorbed characteristics and deformed modes of TWBs are superior to those of tubes with uniform thickness. Then, two optimization cases of TWB tubes are presented through analysis of mean (ANOM) and updating orthogonal array, in which the thickness property and material types are considered as design variables. The results demonstrated that the performances of the optimized structure are much better than those of the initial counterpart.
Key WordsDynamic crashing Discrete design Finite Element Analysis (FEA) Thin-walled structure Tailor-Welded Blank (TWB)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abkenar, S. M. S., Stanley, S. D., Miller, C. J., Chase, D. V. and Mcelmurry, S. P. (2015). Evaluation of genetic algorithms using discrete and continuous methods for pump optimization of water distribution systems. Sustainable Computing: Informatics and Systems, 8, 18–23.Google Scholar
- Baykasoğlu, A. and Baykasoğlu, C. (2016). Multiple objective crashworthiness optimization of circular tubes with functionally graded thickness via artificial neural networks and genetic algorithms. Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: J. Mechanical Engineering Science, 231, 11, 2005–2016.Google Scholar
- Li, G. Y., Xu, F. X., Huang, X. D. and Sun, G. Y. (2015). Topology optimization of an automotive tailor-welded blank door. J. Mechanical Design, 1375, 055001-1—055001-8.Google Scholar
- Song, S. and Park, G. (2006). Multidisciplinary optimization of an automotive door with a tailored blank. Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: J. Automobile Engineering, 220, 2, 151–163.Google Scholar
- Wang, H., Tang, L. and Li, G. (2011). Adaptive MLSHDMR metamodeling techniques for high dimensional problems. Expert Systems with Applications, 3811, 14117–14126.Google Scholar
- Zhu, P., Shi, Y., Zhang, K. and Lin, Z. (2008). Optimum design of an automotive inner door panel with a tailorwelded blank structure. Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: J. Automobile Engineering, 2228, 1337–1348.Google Scholar