Two new alpine species of Euphorbia (Euphorbiaceae) from Iran
Two new Iranian alpine species of Euphorbia L. subg. Esula Pers., sect. Pithyusa (Raf.) Lázaro are described and illustrated. Euphorbia belgheisi Pahlevani is known from N Zagros Mountains at Belgheis summit and is compared with the closest species, E. sahendi Bornm. another local endemic taxon. Euphorbia mirzakhaniana Pahlevani is found from the southern part of the Talesh Mountains, the subrange of the most western part of the Alborz Mountains, and is most similar to E. gypsicola Rech.f. & Aellen, a local gypsophilous endemic species, which occurs on the gypsum hills of Semnan province. Diagnoses, descriptions, images, a distribution map, details of ecology, conservation status, seed micromorphology and pertinent notes are also included.
Key Wordsconservation Iranian flora Irano-Turanian leafy spurge mountain-dwelling section Pithyusa SEM
The authors wish to thank Mr M. Mehranfard for the illustrations and Dr. M. Mahmoodi for providing the photo of Euphorbia belgheisi. Two anonymous reviewers who provided useful comments are also acknowledged.
- IUCN (2017). IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria: Version 13, IUCN Species Survival Commission. IUCN, Gland & Cambridge. http://intranet.iucn.org/webfiles/doc/SSC/RedList/redlistcatsenglish.pdf.
- Morton, A. (2009). DMAP for Windows. Distribution map software 7.3., Berkshire.Google Scholar
- Pahlevani, A. H. (2007). Notes on some species of the genus Euphorbia in Iran. Rostaniha 8: 89 – 103.Google Scholar
- Riina, R., Peirson, J. A., Geltman, D. V., Molero, J., Frajman, B., Pahlevani, A. H., Barres, L., Morawetz, J. J., Salmaki, Y., Zarre, S., Kryukov, A., Bruyns, P. V. & Berry, P. E. (2013). A worldwide molecular phylogeny and classification of the leafy spurges, Euphorbia subgenus Esula (Euphorbiaceae). Taxon 62: 316 – 342.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Takhtajan, A. (1986). Floristic Regions of the World, Berkeley, University of California Press, California (English translation from Russian).Google Scholar
- Webster, G. L (2014). Euphorbiaceae. In: K. Kubitzki (ed.), The families and genera of vascular plants, Vol. 11: 51 – 216. Springer, Heidelberg.Google Scholar