Synthesis and Application of Benzotriazole UV Absorbers to Improve the UV Resistance of Polyester Fabrics
- 5 Downloads
In this study, 2-(2-hydroxy-4-acryloyl)-2H-benzotriazole (BTHA), a benzotriazole ultraviolet absorber monomer, was synthesized from 2-(2,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-benzotriazole (BTDP) and acryloyl chloride. The synthesized BTHA was characterized by 1H-NMR, FTIR, and ultraviolet spectroscopy, and grafted onto polyester fabrics by the traditional pad-dry-cure (PDC) process. The effects of monomer concentration and initiator concentration on the UPF values of the grafted PET fabrics were studied. The grafted fabrics were characterized by scanning electron microscopy (SEM), X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), and thermogravimetric analysis (TGA). The breaking strength of the grafted PET fabrics was comparable with the original PET fabrics in warp and weft directions. The UV protection factors improved significantly after grafting. The modified PET fabrics exhibited good durability to washing. The grafting of BTHA onto PET fabrics protected the damage of UV light to PET fabrics and decreased the strength loss of PET fabrics after UVA light exposure.
KeywordsPolyester Benzotriazoles UV stability Pad-dry-cure process UV resistant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by national first-class discipline program of Light Industry Technology and Engineering (LITE2018-21), the Project of Jiangsu Science and Technological Innovation Team, and 111 Projects (B17021).
- 9.Y. W. H. Wong, C. W. M. Yuen, M. Y. S. Leung, S. K. A. Ku, and H. L. I. Lam, AUTEX Res. J., 6, 177 (2006).Google Scholar
- 10.S. Li, B. Hu, and F. Zhang, J. Nanoelectron. Optoelectron., 12, 1056 (2017).Google Scholar
- 11.M. Day and D. M. Wiles, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 16, 175 (1972).Google Scholar
- 12.S. K. Malik and T. Arora, Man-Made Text. India, 46, 164 (2003).Google Scholar
- 13.H. Y. Wang, H. U. Guo-Liang, Z. Ying, and X. D. Pan, Mater. Sci. Technol., 16, 582 (2008).Google Scholar
- 20.D. E. Aultz, Speciality Chemicals, 16, 71 (1996).Google Scholar
- 28.X. Lin, M. Yin, Y. Liu, L. Li, X. Ren, Y. Sun, and T.-S. Huang, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 63, 303 (2018).Google Scholar