Development of a Multi-component Air Filter by Incorporating the Density Gradient Structure in Needle Punched Nonwoven
In this article, the authors have investigated about the filter media created by using the concept of density gradient structure with layers of needle punch nonwoven. Different density of nonwoven layers was created by using three different fibres (polyester, polypropylene, acrylic) of three different deniers (9, 3, 1.5). The density gradient structures were formed combining the layers together. Different combinations of layers were considered to form a filter media. Air permeability and air filtration efficiency were evaluated, as they are the primarily important parameters of a filter media. It was found that different combination results in different filtration efficiency with different air permeability and pressure drop.
KeywordsMulti-component Density gradient Needle punched Filter media Filtration efficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. K. Kothari, A. Das, and A. Sarkar, Indian J. Fibre Text. Res., 32, 196 (2007).Google Scholar
- 2.A. Das, R. Alagirusamy, and K. R. Nagendra, Indian J. Fibre Text. Res., 34, 253 (2008).Google Scholar
- 10.C. Heldmann, Filtrex 08, Koln, Germany, 2008.Google Scholar
- 11.W. Rupertseder, Filtrex 08, Koln, Germany, 2008.Google Scholar
- 14.J. Kim, W. Jasper, and J. Hinestroza, J. Microsc., 72, 225 (2007).Google Scholar