Low Velocity Impact Behavior of 3D Hollow Core Sandwich Composites Produced with Flat-Knitted Spacer Fabrics
- 5 Downloads
Impact failure of newly-designed textile composites from three-dimensional integrated weft-knitted spacer fabrics (3D-IWK-SF) was aimed to be investigated under drop weight loading. Using a computerized flat knitting machine, three different 3D-IWK-SF as the composite reinforcements varied in their cross-sectional shapes, were produced from E-glass yarns. The produced fabrics were then impregnated with unsaturated polyester resin via the vacuum assisted resin transfer molding (VARTM) which eventually results in 3D integrated spacer weft-knitted sandwich composites (3D-IWK-SC). For comparing the results, an additional core/sheet sandwich composite composed of the same sheet and the polyurethane foam core was also fabricated. From the resulted values of contact force, it was concluded that 3D-IWK-SC of V-shaped crosssection had the highest resistance against low velocity impact load. On the other hand, the evaluated damaged area of both Vshaped 3D-IWK-SC and the foam core sandwich composites were lower than the other samples. Moreover, it was observed that matrix crack-formation in face-sheets of all samples as well as transversely propagated cracks at the connecting layers of 3D-IWK-SCs were of dominant failure modes under drop weight impact test, while no sign of face-core de-bonding were observed for all type of 3D-IWK-SCs.
KeywordsFlat weft knitted spacer composites 3D Hollow core sandwich composite Low velocity impact behavior Damage Failure mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.K. Malekzadeh Fard, S. M. R. Khalili, S. H. Forooghy, and M. Hosseini, Compos. Pt. A-Appl. Sci. Manuf., 63, 111 (2014).Google Scholar
- 8.L. Tong, A. P. Mouritz, and M. K. Bannister, “3D fibre Reinforced Polymer Composites”, 1 st ed., Elsevier, 2002.Google Scholar
- 11.N. Baral, D. D. R. Cartié, I. K. Partridge, C. Baley, and P. Davies, Compos. Pt. B-Eng., doi:10.1016/j.compositesb (2009).Google Scholar
- 22.M. Abounaim, O. Diestel, G. Hoffmann, and C. Cherif, J. Reinf. Plast. Comp., 731, 6844 (2010).Google Scholar
- 25.S. Hassanzadeh, H. Hasani, and M. Zarrebini, J. Sandwich Struct. Mater., doi:10.1177/1099636217716575, 1 (2017).Google Scholar
- 27.E. Omrani, H. Hasani, and S. H. Dibajian, Appl. Compos. Mater., doi:10.1007/s10443-017-9613-9, 1 (2017).Google Scholar
- 30.M. N. Damghani and A. M. Gonabadi, Mater. Sci. Eng. J., 8, 52 (2017).Google Scholar
- 32.X. Chen, Y. Sun, and X. Gong, Text. Res. J., 78, 9 (2008).Google Scholar