Nonlinear Sideband Thermocapillary Instability of a Thin Film Coating the Inside of a Thick Walled Cylinder with Finite Thermal Conductivity in the Absence of Gravity
- 3 Downloads
The nonlinear sideband thermocapillary instability of a thin liquid film coating the inside of a heated cylinder in the absence of gravity is investigated. It is shown that for a newtonian fluid and under the approximation of small wavenumber and large radius of the cylinder, the axial and all azimuthal modes with wavenumber kmax > 0 have the same linear maximum growth rate, in the same way as in a previous papers for flow outside the cylinder. Here, this indeterminacy of the linear problem is resolved nonlinearly looking for the parameters’ range where the axial mode prevails and where it is unstable against the first azimuthal mode of thermocapillary instability.
KeywordsCylindrical thin liquid film Marangoni convection Thermocapillary convection Nonlinear sideband instability Thick wall Wall finite thermal conductivity
The author would like to thank Alberto López, Alejandro Pompa, Cain González, Raúl Reyes, Ma. Teresa Vázquez and Oralia Jiménez for technical support.
- Dávalos-Orozco, L.A.: Nonlinear instability of a thin film flowing down a smoothly deformed thick wall of finite thermal conductivity. Interfacial Phenomena and Heat Transfer 2, 55–74 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1615/InterfacPhenomHeatTransfer.2014010400 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dávalos-Orozco, L. A.: Sideband thermocapillary instability of a thin film coating the outside of a thick walled cylinder with finite thermal conductivity in the absence of gravity. Interfacial Phenomena and Heat Transfer 5, 287–298 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1615/InterfacPhenomHeatTransfer.2018024903 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dávalos-Orozco, L.A.: Sideband thermocapillary instability of a thin film flowing down the inside of a thick walled cylinder with finite thermal conductivity. Interfacial Phenomena and Heat Transfer 6, 239–251 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1615/InterfacPhenomHeatTransfer.2019029854 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hernández-Hernández, I.J., Dávalos-Orozco, L. A.: Competition between stationary and oscillatory viscoelastic thermocapillary convection of a film coating a thick wall. Int. J. Thermal Sci. 89, 164–173 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2014.11.003 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu, R., Ding, Z.J., Zhu, Z.Q.: Thermocapillary effect on the absolute and convective instabilities of film flows down a fibre. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 112, 918–925 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.05.030 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu, R., Ding, Z.J., Chen, X.: The effect of thermocapillarity on the dynamics of an exterior coating film flow down a fibre subject to an axial temperature gradient. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 123, 718–727 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.03.023 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moctezuma-Sánchez, M., Dávalos-Orozco, L.A.: Azimuthal instability modes in a viscoelastic liquid layer flowing down a heated cylinder. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 90, 15–25 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2015.06.035 CrossRefGoogle Scholar