A parametric study on structural effects of hollow hybrid fin heat sinks in natural convection and radiation
This study investigates structural effects of hollow hybrid fin heat sinks (HHFHSs) under natural convection and radiation conducting parametric analysis. The HHFHS is a staggered array of hollow hybrid fins (HHFs) denoting hollow pin fins containing perforations near fin bases and integrated with radially-placed plate fins. CFD thermal models validated by measurements were utilized to explore structural effects of the HHFHS such as the fin spacing; number, width, and length of the radial plate fin; and the number of perforations. It is found that the surface area enhancement of the radial plate fin considerably improves the thermal performance of the HHFHS although it modestly deteriorates the mass-based performance. It is seen that the HHF spacing has stronger influence on the radiation heat transfer rate compared with other parameters. The result shows that the perforations enable internal channel flows resulting in an additional heat transfer enhancement.
KeywordsNatural convection Hollow hybrid fin Heat sink Structural effect Radiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by a Research Grant of Pukyong National University (2017 year).
- M. Cermak et al., Development of a passively cooled outdoor telecom power enclosure, Annu. IEEE Semicond. Therm. Meas. Manag. Symp. 2017 13–18.Google Scholar
- H. Kim, K. J. Kim and Y. Lee, Thermal performance of smart heat sinks for cooling high power LED modules, 13th Intersoc. Conf. Therm. Thermomechanical Phenom. Electron. Syst. 2012 962–967.Google Scholar
- K. J. Kim, Orientation effects on the performance of natural convection cooled hybrid fins, 20th Int. Work. Therm. Investig. ICs Syst. 2014 1–3.Google Scholar
- R. Siegel and J. R. Howell, Thermal Radiation Heat Transfer, Taylor & Francis (1992).Google Scholar
- ANSYS, ANSYS FLUENT: User’s Guide, Canonsburg (2016).Google Scholar
- K. A. Hoffmann and S. T. Chiang, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Engineering Education System (2000).Google Scholar
- F. P. Incropera and D. P. DeWitt, Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, John Wiley (2007).Google Scholar
- R. W. Fox, A. T. Macdonald and P. J. Pritchard, Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, John Wiley (2004).Google Scholar
- J. Taylor, Introduction to Error Analysis, the Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements, 2nd Ed., University Science Books (1997).Google Scholar