Reliability based design optimization using response surface augmented moment method
- 9 Downloads
A new approach toward reliability based design optimization (RBDO) is proposed based on the response surface augmented moment method (RSMM). In RSMM, the reliability analysis procedure based on design of experiments (DOE) is combined with the response surface method (RSM) for numerical efficiency. It utilizes the Pearson system with four statistical moments to calculate the failure probability, and the progressive update of the response surface facilitates the calculation of these four statistical moments. In this study, a semi-analytic design sensitivity analysis is performed in connection with RSMM for an efficient implementation of RSMM in RBDO. The sensitivity of failure probability with respect to the design variables is calculated by direct differentiation and finite difference method with the Pearson system. It is integrated into a mathematical programming for RBDO and applied to several test examples. It was demonstrated that the proposed method of RBDO based on RSMM is efficient and robust.
KeywordsDesign of experiments Design sensitivity analysis Moment method Reliability based design optimization Response surface method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. O. Madsen, S. Krenk and N. C. Lind, Methods of Structural Safety, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1986).Google Scholar
- A. M. Hasofer and N. C. Lind, Exact and invariant second order code format, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 100(1) (1974) 111–21.Google Scholar
- X. Chen and T. K. Hasselman, Reliability based structural design optimization for practical applications, Proceedings of 38th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference and Exhibit and AIAA/ASME/AHS Adaptive Structural Forum, Kissimmee, Florida, USA (1997).Google Scholar
- C. M. Creveling, Tolerance Design: A Handbook for Developing Optimal Specification, Addison-Wesley, Cambridge, MA (1997).Google Scholar
- Q. Xiao, R. Sues and G. Rhodes, Computational strategies for reliability based multidisciplinary optimization, Proceedings of the 13th ASCE EMD Conference (1999).Google Scholar