Rule-Based LEED Evaluation Method considering BIM Linkage and Variability
- 5 Downloads
Building information modeling (BIM) has become mandatory of late in the public sector construction orders, with its utilization in building analysis and modeling increasing. Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) is an eco-friendly building certification system managed by U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). LEED-certified projects vary in their use and evaluation of BIM data according to the building evaluation purpose and use case. This study proposes and implements rule-based LEED evaluation method with BIM (RLEM-BIM), which supports the LEED evaluation automation and variance in connection with BIM from the viewpoint of use cases for the confirmation of its effects. Using RLEM-BIM, this study seeks to reuse the evaluation procedure for LEED project, and to lower the rework rate. To check the effects of using RLEM-BIM, the effects were analyzed through interviews of experts. The proposed evaluation method improves the variance and reuse of the evaluation procedure compared to the existing manual evaluation method.
KeywordsBIM LEED RLEM-BIM Variance Automation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This research was supported by a grant (19AUDP-B127891-03) from the Architecture & Urban Development Research Program funded by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of the Korean government.
- Asl MR, Bergin M, Menter A, Yan W (2014) BIM-based parametric building energy performance multi-objective optimization. Education and Research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe 32(224):1–10Google Scholar
- Chen YW, Hsieh SH (2013) A BIM assisted rule based approach for checking of green building design. International conference on construction applications of green building design, October 30–31, London, UK, 47–55, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1061/9780784481066.016
- Chen PH, Nguyen TC (2016) Integrating BIM and web map service for green building certification. Procedia Engineering 503–509, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2016.11.651
- Cheng JP, Das M (2014) A BIM-based web service framework for green building energy simulation and code checking. Journal of Information Technology in Construction 19:150–168Google Scholar
- Jalaei F, Jrade A (2015) Integrating building information modeling and LEED system at the conceptual design stage of sustainable buildings. Sustainable Cities and Society 95–107, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2015.06.007
- Kalavagunta S, Jayaram R, Naganathan S (2015) Energy performance analysis of buildings in BIM workflow. Renewable Energy 11:13thGoogle Scholar
- Kim MK, Roh MS, Kim IS, Jun HJ (2012) A Study on the Applicability of GBT for BIM-based green building certification system. Design Convergence Study 11(4):31–44Google Scholar
- Lee SH, Jun HJ (2009) A study on comparison with oversea green building certification criteria for sustainable BIM-based design. Architectural Institute of Korea 23–326Google Scholar
- LEED (2009) LEED Reference guide for green building design and construction - Retail supplement. U.S. Green Building Council, Washington, DC, USAGoogle Scholar
- Lim KJ, Park KS, Park BH (2013) A study on BIM based building performance analysis for LEED. Korea Institute of Architectural Sustainable Environment and Building Systems 203–206Google Scholar
- Lim YW, Sediadi E, Shahsavari F, Fazlenawati MN (2016) Building information modelling for building energy efficiency evaluation integration with green building index (GBI) in Malaysia. 4th annual international conference on architecture and civil engineering, April 25–26, Singapore, 42–48, DOI: https://doi.org/10.5176/2301-394X_ACE16.56
- Ryu HS, Park KS (2016) A study on the LEED energy simulation process using BIM, Sustainability 1–13, DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/su8020138
- Shadram F, Johansson TD, Schade WL, Olofsson T (2016) An integrated BIM-based framework for minimizing embodied energy during building design. Energy and Building 592–604, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2016.07.007
- Wikipedia (2019) Hard coding, Retrieved January 7, 2019, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_coding
- Zhang C, Chen J (2015) LEED embedded building information modeling system. AEI 2015, March 24–27, Brookfield, WI, USA, 25–36, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1061/9780784479070.003