A Novel RRAM Based PUF for Anti-Machine Learning Attack and High Reliability
- 5 Downloads
Due to the unique response mechanism, physical unclonable function (PUF) has been extensively studied as a hardware security primitive. And compared to other PUFs, the resistive random access memory (RRAM) based PUF has more flexibility with the change of conductive filaments. In this work, we propose an exclusive or (XOR) strong PUF based on the 1 Kbit 1-transistor-1-resistor (1T1R) arrays, and unlike the traditional RRAM based strong PUF, the XOR PUF has a stronger anti-machine learning attack ability in our experiments. The reliability of XOR RRAM PUF is determined by the read instability, thermal dependence of RRAM resistance, and aging. We used a split current distribution scheme to make the reliability of XOR PUF significantly improved. After baking for 50 h at a high temperature of 150°C, the intra-chip Hamming distance (Intra-HD) only increased from 0 to 4.5%. The inter-chip Hamming distance (Inter-HD) and uniformity are close to 50% (ideally). And it is proven through the NIST test that XOR PUF has a high uniqueness.
Key wordsphysical unclonable functions resistive random access memory machine learning attack antimachine learning attack XOR RRAM PUF
CLC numberTN 79
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- LU X Y, HONG L Y, SENGUPTA K. An integrated optical physically unclonable function using processsensitive sub-wavelength photonic crystals in 65 nm CMOS [C]//International Solid-State Circuits Conference. San Francisco, CA, USA: IEEE, 2017: 272–273.Google Scholar
- BHARGAVA M, CAKIR C, MAI K. Comparison of bistable and delay-based physical unclonable functions from measurements in 65 nm bulk CMOS [C]//Custom Integrated Circuits Conference. San Jose, CA, USA: IEEE, 2012: 1–4.Google Scholar
- MAES R, TUYLS P, VERBAUWHEDE I. A soft decision helper data algorithm for SRAM PUFs [C]//International Symposium on Information Theory. Seoul, Korea: IEEE, 2009: 2101–2105.Google Scholar
- LIU R, WU H Q, PANG Y C, et al. A highly reliable and tamper-resistant RRAM PUF: Design and experimental validation [C]//International Symposium on Hardware Oriented Security and Trust. McLean, VA, USA: IEEE, 2016: 13–18.Google Scholar
- RÜHRMAIR U, SEHNKE F, SÖLTER J. Modeling attacks on physical unclonable functions [C]//17th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security. Chicago, IL, USA: ACM, 2010: 237–249.Google Scholar
- PANG Y C, WU H Q, GAO B, et al. A novel PUF against machine learning attack: Implementation on a 16Mb RRAM chip [C]//International Electron Devices Meeting. San Francisco, CA, USA: IEEE, 2017: 12.2.1-12.2.4.Google Scholar
- PANG Y C, WU H Q, GAO B, et al. Design and optimization of strong physical unclonable function (PUF) based on RRAM array [C]//International Symposium on VLSI Technology, Systems and Application. Hsinchu, China: IEEE, 2017: 1–2.Google Scholar