Use of fiber Bragg grating sensors for monitoring delamination damage propagation in glass-fiber reinforced composite structures
- 9 Downloads
Embedded fiber Bragg grating (FBG) sensors have been widely used for damage monitoring of fiber composite structures for a few decades. However, many remaining engineering challenges have delayed FBG based in situ structural health monitoring (SHM) systems. One of the major problem associated with FBG based SHM system is the unavailability of reliable data processing algorithms. The present work details a study which has been undertaken for identification of delamination crack propagation in fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) composite plate under uniaxial loading. The strain measured by embedded FBG sensors closer to the crack tip was used to qualitatively and quantitatively analyze delamination damage propagation using recently proposed elasto-plastic model. Strain energy release rate was calculated and compared with the model prediction. The study has concluded that the delamination crack propagation in a FRP composite can be monitored successfully using an integral approach of FBG sensors measurements and the predictions of proposed elasto-plastic model.
Keywordsfiber Bragg grating (FBG) sensors composite damage modelling fracture energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Authors like to acknowledge the technical support provided by Mr. Mohan Trada, School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering and Mr. Wayne Crowell, Centre for Future Materials of USQ.
- 1.Kakei A, Epaarachchi J, Mainul M, Leng J. Development of fracture and damage modeling concepts for composite materials. In: Epaarachchi J, Kahandawa G, eds. Structural Health Monitoring Technologies and Next-Generation Smart Composite Structures. 2016, Roca Raton: CRC Press, 339–364Google Scholar
- 10.Chang F K. Structural Health Monitoring. Lancaster: DESTechnol Publications, 2003Google Scholar
- 19.Kahandawa G C, Epaarachchi J A, Wang H, Followell D, Birt P. Use of fixed wavelength fibre-Bragg grating (FBG) filters to capture time domain data from the distorted spectrum of an embedded FBG sensor to estimate strain with an artificial neural network. Sensors and Actuators A, Physical, 2013, 194: 1–7CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Kakei A A, Islam M, Leng J, Epaarachchi J. Use of an elasto-plastic model and strain measurements of embedded fibre Bragg grating sensors to detect Mode I delamination crack propagation in woven cloth (0/90) composite materials. Structural Health Monitoring, 2017, doi:10.1177/1475921717694812Google Scholar
- 29.Pereira G, McGugan M, Mikkelsen L P. FBG_SiMul V1.0: Fibre Bragg grating signal simulation tool for finite element method models. SoftwareXGoogle Scholar