Identification of an inositol-3-phosphate synthase 1-B gene (AccIPS1-B) from Apis cerana cerana and its role in abiotic stress
Inositol phosphate synthase (IPS) is a rate-limiting enzyme in myo-inositol biosynthesis, which can regulate stress responses in plants and animals. However, there are few studies on the function of IPS in insects, especially in Apis cerana cerana. In this study, the inositol-3-phosphate synthase 1-B gene (AccIPS1-B) was isolated from Apis cerana cerana, and its connection to antioxidant defence was investigated. The open reading frame of AccIPS1-B was 1542 bp, encoding a 513 amino acid polypeptide. Quantitative real-time PCR analysis revealed that the expression level of AccIPS1-B was highest in pupae of Apis cerana cerana, and it was expressed at higher levels in the thorax than in other tissues tested. Moreover, the expression of AccIPS1-B was significantly upregulated by abiotic stresses. The recombinant AccIPS1-B also displayed significant tolerance to cumene hydroperoxide and HgCl2. In addition, knockdown of AccIPS1-B significantly suppressed the expression of most of the antioxidant genes and decreased the antioxidant enzymatic activities of SOD, POD, and GST. Taken together, these findings indicate that AccIPS1-B may be involved in the response to antioxidant defence and development in Apis cerana cerana.
KeywordsApis cerana cerana AccIPS1-B Quantitative real-time PCR Abiotic stress Antioxidant defence
This work was financially supported by the Shandong Province Modern Agricultural Technology System Innovation Team Special Fund (SDAIT-24-04).
- Chen C, Chen K, Su T, Zhang B, Li G, Pan J, Si M (2018) Myo-inositol-1-phosphate synthase (Ino-1) functions as a protection mechanism in Corynebacterium glutamicum under oxidative stress. Microbiologyopen 1:e721Google Scholar
- Culbertson MR, Donahue TF, Henry SA (1976) Control of inositol biosynthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: inositol-phosphate synthetase mutants. J Bacteriol 126(1):243–250Google Scholar
- Donahue TF, Henry SA (1981) Inositol mutants of saccharomyces cerevisiae: mapping the ino1 locus and characterizing alleles of the ino1, ino2 and ino4 loci. Genetics 98(3):491–503Google Scholar
- Li M, Miao L, Chen Y, Hou H, Chen J (2018) Cloning of MIPS gene in large yellow croaker (Larimichthys crocea) and the expression analysis under cold treatments. J Agric Biotechnol 26:292–301Google Scholar
- Smith TK, Major LL (2011) Screening the maybridge rule of 3 fragment library for compounds that interact with the Trypanosoma brucei myo-inositol-3-phosphate synthase and/or show trypanocidal activity. Mol Bio Int 5:389–364Google Scholar