Transformation of follicular lymphoma to double-hit lymphoma during adjuvant chemotherapy for concurrent ovarian carcinoma
The frequency of multiple primary malignant neoplasms (MPMN) is increasing due to population aging. Since consensus guidelines for the treatment of MPMN are lacking, treatment strategies are determined by disease status on a per-patient basis. In this report, we describe a case of MPMN with follicular lymphoma (FL) grade 1 that transformed to double-hit lymphoma during adjuvant chemotherapy for concurrent ovarian carcinoma. A 64-year-old woman was diagnosed with MPMN of FL and endometrioid carcinoma by staging laparotomy and lymph node biopsy. She received four cycles of adjuvant chemotherapy (carboplatin and paclitaxel) for endometrioid carcinoma, but during chemotherapy, the FL grade 1 transformed to double-hit lymphoma. We speculate that adjuvant chemotherapy for endometrioid carcinoma may have triggered the transformation of FL in the present case.
KeywordsFollicular lymphoma Transformation Double-hit lymphoma Multiple primary malignant neoplasms
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 7.Warren S, Gates O. Multiple primary malignant tumors: a survey of the literature and a statistical study. Am J Cancer. 1932;16:1358–414.Google Scholar
- 8.Brice P, Bastion Y, Lepage E, Brousse N, Haïoun C, Moreau P, et al. Comparison in low-tumor-burden follicular lymphomas between an initial no-treatment policy, prednimustine, or interferon alfa: a randomized study from the Groupe d’Etude des Lymphomes Folliculaires Groupe d’Etude des Lymphomes de l’Adulte. J Clin Oncol. 1997;15:1110–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Xu X, Zhang L, Wang Y, Zhang Q, Zhang L, Sun B, et al. Double-hit and triple-hit lymphomas arising from follicular lymphoma following acquisition of MYC: report of two cases and literature review. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013;6:788–94.Google Scholar
- 12.Bischin AM, Dorer R, Aboulafia DM. Transformation of follicular lymphoma to a high-grade B-cell lymphoma with MYC and BCL2 Translocations and Overlapping Features of Burkitt lymphoma and acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a case report and literature review. Clin Med Insights Blood Disord. 2017;10:1–8.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Andrews PA, Howell SB. Cellular pharmacology of cisplatin: perspectives on mechanisms of acquired resistance. Cancer Cells. 1990;2:35–43.Google Scholar
- 25.Ikeguchi M, Nakamura S, Kaibara N. Quantitative analysis of expression levels of bax, bcl-2, and survivin in cancer cells during cisplatin treatment. Oncol Rep. 2002;9:1121–6.Google Scholar