Determination of Ellagic Acid in Wine by Solid-Phase Extraction–Ultra-High Performance Liquid Chromatography–Tandem Mass Spectrometry
The method for the determination of ellagic acid in wine by solid-phase extraction–ultra-high performance liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry (SPE-UPLC-MS/MS) using electrospray ion source (ESI) multiple reaction monitoring (MRM) mode detection was established. The sample was purified by Oasis HLB solid-phase extraction column and separated on an Acquity UPLC® BEH C18 column (2.1 mm × 100 mm 1.7 μm) with a mobile phase of 0.1% formic acid methanol–0.1% formic acid aqueous solution. Under the best detection conditions, ellagic acid within the range of 0.01~1 mg/L had a good linear relationship with a correlation coefficient of 0.9993. The detection limit (LOD) and quantitative limit (LOQ) were 3 and 10 μg/L, respectively. The recovery was 90.8~116% with the relative standard deviation (RSD) of 3.6~9.4%. The results indicate that the method is simple, fast, sensitive, and reproducible and can be used for the determination of ellagic acid in wine.
KeywordsSolid-phase extraction UPLC-MS/MS Ellagic acid Wine
The work was jointly supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31570374 and 31470542).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Rui Chen declares that he has no conflict of interest. Jiaxuan Li declares that he has no conflict of interest. Zhiwei Yang declares that he has no conflict of interest. Fei Gao declares that he has no conflict of interest. Pengyu Qi declares that he has no conflict of interest. Xiang Li declares that he has no conflict of interest. Fengmei Zhu declares that she has no conflict of interest. Jun Li declares that he has no conflict of interest. Jinjie Zhang declares that he has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with animals performed by any of the authors.
- Chen JH, Wu DM, Wang YM et al (2007) Study on quantitative determination of ellagic acid by UV-spectrophotometry. Biomas Chem Eng 03:18–20Google Scholar
- Chin-Chih H, Huang A-C, Yu C-S et al (2014) Ellagic acid induces apoptosis in TSGH8301 human bladder cancer cells through the endoplasmic reticulum stress-and mitochondria-dependent signaling pathways. Environl Toxicol 29(11):1262–1274Google Scholar
- Commission Decision of 14 August 2002. Implementation Council Directive 96/23/EC. Concerning the performance of analytical methods and the interpretation of results (2002/657/EC)Google Scholar
- Feng XD, Zhang YJ, Wang G et al (2016) Determination of chloramphenicol residue in Wuji Baifeng pills by HPLC-MS/MS with HLB solid-phase extraction. Chin Pharm Affa 30(10):1009–1014Google Scholar
- Gu YX, Zhou ZL, Wang QH (2014) HPLC determination of ellagic acid in cosmetics with solid phase extraction. Phys Test Chem Anal Part B 50(11):1366–1368Google Scholar
- Ji BH, Yang XX, Ni XX et al (2013) Determination of ellagic acid and punica glucomannan in pomegranate peel by capillary electrophoresis. J Instrum Anal 32(03):367–371Google Scholar
- Lu JJ, Ding W, Yang DJ (2010) Research progress of ellagic acid as a functional factor of health products. Food Sci 31(21):451–454Google Scholar
- Mirsane S, Mirsane S (2017) Benefits of ellagic acid from grapes and pomegranates against colorectal cancer. Caspian J Intern Med 8(3):226–227Google Scholar
- Nowak R (2006) Determination of ellagic acid in pseudofruits of some species of roses. Acta Pol Pharm 63(4):289–292Google Scholar
- Sun J, Zhu J, Li B et al (2013) Determination of ellagic acid in blackberry juice by high pressure liquid chromatography. Food Mach 29(05):84–86 119 Google Scholar
- Takuo K, Ishida H, Yokota M et al (2016) Studies on antihemorrhagic substances in herbs classified as hemostatics in Chinese medicine III on the antihemorrhagic principle in Sangui sorba officinallis. Chem Pharm Bull 32:4478–4481Google Scholar
- Wang JL (2015) Determination of ellagic acid from six red raspberry cultivars grown in Northeast China using RP-HPLC. Food Sci 36(12):93–96Google Scholar
- Xu YH, Zhang FF, Zhang H et al (2016) Research progress in the relations between grape wine and people’s health. Liq-Mak Sci Technol 12:94–98Google Scholar
- Yang Y, Shi L, Zhang J et al (2012) Determination of ellagic acid in strawberry by dispersive solid phase extraction-high performance liquid chromatography. Northern Horticulture (15):25–27Google Scholar
- Yang Y, Shi L, Yang JJ et al (2016) Determination of ellagic acid in strawberry by UPLC-MS/MS. J Instrum Anal 35(12):1591–1595Google Scholar
- Zaazaa Asmaa M, Lokman Maha S, Shalby Aziza B et al (2018) Ellagic acid holds promise against hepatocellular carcinomain an experimental model: mechanisms of action. Asian Pac J Cancer P 19(2):387–293Google Scholar
- Zeng WX (2012) Determination of ellagic acid in brandy by HPLC method. Liq-Mak Sci Technol 04:112–113,117Google Scholar
- Zhang CT, Wan GS, Zhao YQ et al (2013) Determination of the content of ellagic acid and raspberry ketone in red raspberry (Rubus corchorifolius) fruit. Chin J Exp Tradit Med Formulae 19(19):140–143Google Scholar
- Zhang CY, Xie XZ, Li JW (2015) The effect of ellagic acid on human gastric cancer cell SGC7901. Guangdong Chem Ind 42(08):126Google Scholar
- Zhou BH, Wu ZH, Liu C et al (2005a) Determination of ellagic acid in the extracts of Punica granatum L pericarp by HPLC. J Guangdong Coll Pharm 06:693–694Google Scholar
- Zhou BH, Wu ZH, Li XJ et al (2005b) Content determination of ellagic acid in granati cortex by HPCE. China Pharm (24):1893–1894Google Scholar
- Zhou B, Wang J, Pharmacy DO (2016) Anti-oxidation mechanism of ellagic acid with renal protective effects in diabetic mice. China Pharmacist 19(12):2229–2233Google Scholar