Determination of Biogenic Amines in Fish Meat and Fermented Foods Using Column-Switching High-Performance Liquid Chromatography with Fluorescence Detection
- 131 Downloads
In this study, we developed a column-switching high-performance liquid chromatography method with fluorescence detection for the simultaneous analysis of biogenic amines (BAs). This method uses an isocratic solution using acetonitrile with water as the mobile phase. Column-switching is achieved by using a switching valve with a set time program to change flow direction. Using this method, seven BAs (tryptamine, 2-phenylethylamine, putrescine, cadaverine, histamine, tyramine, and spermidine) could be separated and impurities eliminated. Using fluorescence detection, BAs could be identified with high sensitivity. We employed this method to determine the BA contents of fish (mackerel, tuna, and cod) and fermented food (a soybean product and cheese). Our results are in line with previous reports, yielded highly reproducible and quantitative results, and enabled the quick and simultaneous analysis of multiple BAs. Therefore, the method developed here may be useful for the continuous analysis of BAs in different samples to evaluate food quality.
KeywordsBiogenic amines Column-switching HPLC Fluorescence detection Fish Fermented food
This work was supported by the Grant-in-Aid for JSPS Research Fellow Grant Number 17J01852.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Mami Ishimaru declares that she has no conflict of interest. Yuma Muto declares that he has no conflict of interest. Akari Nakayama declares that she has no conflict of interest. Hideo Hatate declares that he has no conflict of interest. Ryusuke Tanaka declares that he has no conflict of interest.
- Baixas-Nogueras S, Bover-Cid S, Vidal-Carou MC, Veciana-Nogues MT (2006) Volatile and nonvolatile amines in Mediterranean hake as function of their storage temperature. J Food Sci 66(1):83–88. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2001.tb15586.x Google Scholar
- Barbosa Roberta G, Gonzaga Luciano V, Lodetti E, Olivo G, Costa Ana Carolina O, Aubourg Santiago P, Fett R (2017) Biogenic amines assessment during different stages of the canning process of skipjack tuna (Katsuwonus pelamis). Int J Food Sci Technol 53(5):1236–1245. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.13703 Google Scholar
- Bonaiuto E, Magro M, Baratella D, Jakubec P, Sconcerle E, Terzo M, Miotto G, Macone A, Agostinelli E, Fasolato S, Venerando R, Salviulo G, Malina O, Zboril R, Vianello F (2016) Ternary hybrid γ-Fe2O3/CrVI/amine oxidase nanostructure for electrochemical sensing: application for polyamine detection in tumor tissue. Chem Eur J 22(20):6846–6852. https://doi.org/10.1002/chem.201600156 Google Scholar
- Elbashir AA, Krieger S, Schmitz OJ (2013) Simultaneous determination of polyamines and acetylpolyamines in human urine by capillary electrophoresis with fluorescence detection. Electrophoresis 35(4):570–576. https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.201300337
- Gosetti F, Chiuminatto U, Zampieri D, Mazzucco E, Robotti E, Calabrese G, Gennaro MC, Marengo E (2010) Determination of perfluorochemicals in biological, environmental and food samples by an automated on-line solid phase extraction ultra high performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method. J Chromatogr A 1217(50):7864–7872. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2010.10.049 Google Scholar
- Loukou Z, Zotou A (2003) Determination of biogenic amines as dansyl derivatives in alcoholic beverages by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorimetric detection and characterization of the dansylated amines by liquid chromatography–atmospheric pressure chemical ionization mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 996(1):103–113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(03)00558-2 Google Scholar
- Naccarato A, Elliani R, Cavaliere B, Sindona G, Tagarelli A (2018) Development of a fast and simple gas chromatographic protocol based on the combined use of alkyl chloroformate and solid phase microextraction for the assay of polyamines in human urine. J Chromatogr A 1549:1–13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2018.03.034 Google Scholar
- Novella-Rodríguez S, Veciana-Nogués MT, Izquierdo-Pulido M, Vidal-Carou MC (2003) Distribution of biogenic amines and polyamines in cheese. J Food Sci 68(3):750–756. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2003.tb08236.x Google Scholar
- Parrilla Vázquez P, Gil García MD, Barranco Martínez D, Martínez Galera M (2005) Application of coupled-column liquid chromatography combined with post-column photochemically induced fluorimetry derivatization and fluorescence detection to the determination of pyrethroid insecticides in vegetable samples. Anal Bioanal Chem 381(6):1217–1225. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-004-3043-x Google Scholar
- Petrarca MH, Fernandes JO, Godoy HT, Cunha SC (2017) Determination of polyamines in baby food by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry: optimization of extraction and microwave-assisted derivatization using response surface methodology. Food Anal Methods 10(11):3548–3557. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12161-017-0918-y Google Scholar
- Rosier J, Van Peteghem C (1988) A screening method for the simultaneous determination of putrescine, cadaverine, histamine, spermidine and spermine in fish by means of high pressure liquid chromatography of their 5-dimethylaminonaphthalene-l-sulphonyl derivatives. Z Lebensm Unters Forsch 186(1):25–28. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01027175 Google Scholar
- Soufleros EH, Bouloumpasi E, Zotou A, Loukou Z (2007) Determination of biogenic amines in Greek wines by HPLC and ultraviolet detection after dansylation and examination of factors affecting their presence and concentration. Food Chem 101(2):704–716. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.02.028 Google Scholar
- Tameem AA, Saad B, Makahleh A, Salhin A, Saleh MI (2010) A 4-hydroxy-N′-[(E)-(2-hydroxyphenyl)methylidene]benzohydrazide-based sorbent material for the extraction-HPLC determination of biogenic amines in food samples. Talanta 82(4):1385–1391. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2010.07.004 Google Scholar
- Yamanaka H, Matsumoto M (1989) Simultaneous determination of polyamines in red meat fishes by high performance liquid chromatography and evaluation of freshness. Food Hyg Saf Sci (Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi) 30(5):396–400. https://doi.org/10.3358/shokueishi.30.396
- Zhang L-Y, Tang X-C, Sun M-X (2005) Simultaneous determination of histamine and polyamines by capillary zone electrophoresis with 4-fluor-7-nitro-2,1,3-benzoxadiazole derivatization and fluorescence detection. J Chromatogr B 820(2):211–219. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2005.03.033 Google Scholar