The Economics of Teaching in India Versus Teaching Aboard: Teacher Salary Differentials Using Purchasing Power Parity (PPP)
This study investigates the salary structure of teachers in India, compared to equivalent salary structures in four prominent migrating countries. Our study makes comparisons using a purchasing power parity (PPP) index and allows the identification of real differences in salaries for our selected countries (India, USA, UK, Canada, and the United Arab Emirates) for selected teaching categories. Results reveal that the incentive for teachers working in India to ply their trade abroad remains strong regardless of career experience. This potentially threatens India’s ability to retain teachers, thereby compromising the ability to meet ambitious education targets.
KeywordsLabour migration India Purchasing power parity Teacher salaries Salary wage differentials
- 7th Pay Commission. (2016). 7th pay commission pay scale for Primary, High School, PGT qualified, CBSC, AICET Teachers - 7th PAY COMMISSION (Salary). 2016. https://www.7thpaycommissioninfo.in/pay-scale-for-teachers/. Accessed 17 Jan 2019.
- Academic Invest. (2019). How to become a high school teacher | Academic invest. https://www.academicinvest.com/arts-careers/education-careers/how-to-become-a-high-school-teacher. Accessed 18 Jan 2019.
- Bankbazaar.com. (2016). 7th Pay Commission - latest news updates - 28 Jan 2019. Bankbazaar.com. https://www.bankbazaar.com/tax/7th-pay-commission.html. Accessed 28 Jan 2019.
- BCTF. (2018). Teacher salaries across Canada: How does BC compare? https://bctf.ca/uploadedFiles/Public/Publications/Research/Reports/Cross-Canada teacher salaries MR 20180528.pdf. Accessed 18 Jan 2019.
- BCTF. (2019). British Columbia Teachers’ Federation: Salary grids. https://www.bctf.ca/SalaryAndBenefits.aspx?id=14758. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2018). Occupational outlook handbook: High school teachers. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm. Accessed 18 Jan 2019.
- Business Today. (2018). 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves 2% DA hike for central government employees. India: Business Today https://www.businesstoday.in/current/economy-politics/dearness-allowance-7th-pay-commission-cabinet-approves-2-percent-hike-in-da/story/281750.html. Accessed 17 Jan 2019.Google Scholar
- Canadian Teachers Federation. (2019). Teachers from outside Canada - Canadian Teacher’s Federation. https://www.ctf-fce.ca/en/Pages/TIC/TeachersfromOutsideCanada.aspx. Accessed 18 Jan 2019.
- Caravatti, M.-L., Lederer, S. M., Lupico, A., & Van Meter, N. (2014). Getting teacher migration & mobility Right (p. 168). Brussels: Education International.Google Scholar
- Cleartax.in. (2018). 7th Pay Commission latest news - updates on pay hike & amp; Allowances. https://cleartax.in/s/7th-pay-commission-latest-news. Accessed 28 Jan 2019.
- Co, V. C. L., & Tan, E. B. (2014). The trends of teachers’ international migration from a developing country. International Journal of Contemporary Applied Sciences, 1, (1), 2308–1365. www.ijcas.net. Accessed 6 June 2016.
- Deodhar, S. Y. (2002, February). Managing trade in educational services: Issues in India’s response to WTO negotiations (Working Paper No. 2001-10-03). Paper presented at the National Seminar on WTO and Allied Issues, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- Department of Labor. (2017). Occupational employment salaries: Secondary school teachers. Occupational Employment Statistics. https://www.bls.gov/oes/CURRENT/oes252031.htm #(4). Accessed 15 Jan 2019.
- Department of Social and Economic Affairs. (2017). International Migration Report 2017. United Nations. ST/ESA/SER.A/404. http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/migration/publications/migrationreport/docs/MigrationReport2017_Highlights.pdf. Accessed 2 Nov 2018.
- DNA India. (2016). 7th Pay Commission hikes salary and pension by 23.55%, to be implemented from January 1, 2016. http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report-7th-pay-commission-hikes-salary-and-pension-by-2355-to-beimplemented-from-january-1-2016-2146941. Accessed 6 April 2016
- Edwards, D. H. (2014). Migrant teachers: A case study. College Park: University of Maryland.Google Scholar
- George. (2011). Asian teachers want pay parity - Emirates 24|7. http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/asian-teachers-want-pay-parity-2011-02-22-1.359221. Accessed 6 April 2016.
- George, G., & Rhodes, B. (2015). Teacher salary differentials using Purchasing Power Parity (PPP): A South African perspective as both a ‘source’ and ‘destination’ country. Journal of Education, (63), 111–135.Google Scholar
- Guide2Dubai. (2016). Dubai Salary 2016 - Average jobs salaries and pay scale in UAE. http://www.guide2dubai.com/living/expat-life/dubai-salary-and-pay-scale. Accessed 6 April 2016.
- India Education. (2018). Teaching as a career in India|teacher qualicfications in India| Teacher Job Prospects. http://www.indiaeducation.net/careercenter/humanities/teaching/. Accessed 17 Jan 2019.
- Internal Revenue Service. (2019). Yearly average currency exchange rates | Internal Revenue Service. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/yearly-average-currency-exchange-rates. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.
- International Monetary Fund. (2017). World economic outlook database October 2017. World Economic and Financial Surveys. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2019/02/weodata/index.aspx. Accessed 10 Jan 2019.
- Kapur, S. (2012). How high or low is salary of teachers in UAE - Emirates 24|7. http://www.emirates247.com/business/how-high-or-low-is-salary-of-teachers-in-uae-2012-06-12-1.462673. Accessed 6 April 2016.
- Kapur, D., & McHale, J. (2005). Give Us Your Best and Brightest., 38, 563–564. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-7660.2007.00423_8.x.
- Manik, S., Maharaj, B., & Sookrajh, R. (2006). Globalisation and transnational teachers: South African teacher migration to the UK. Migraciske i etnicke teme, 22(1–2), 15–33.Google Scholar
- Masudi, F. (2009). Indian teachers: All work and low pay | GulfNews.com. http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/general/indian-teachers-all-work-and-low-pay-1.476054. Accessed 6 April 2016.
- Miller, P. W., Ochs, K., & Mulvaney, G. (2007). International teacher migration and the commonwealth teacher recruitment protocol: assessing its impact and the implementation process in the United Kingdom. European Education, 40(3), 89–101 http://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ824784. Accessed 9 April 2016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Morrow, W., & Keevy, J. (2006). The Recognition of Teacher Qualifications and Professional Registration Status across Commonwealth Member States. Report for the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA). http://www.saqa.org.za/docs/misc/2007/fulldoc.pdf. Accessed 20 Jan 2019
- Nagrath, C. (2018). Teaching overseas: Are you qualified? The International Educator. https://www.tieonline.com/article/86/teaching-overseas-are-you-qualified-. Accessed 21 Jan 2019.
- Naidu, E. (2001). The Brits are taking our teachers. The Teacher, 9.Google Scholar
- NASUWT (The Teacher’s Union). (2019). Teacher’s Pay Scales (2018) England and Wales. https://www.nasuwt.org.uk/advice/pay-pensions/pay-scales.html. Accessed 10 Jan 2019.
- National Union of Teachers. (2019). Annual salary calculator. https://www.teachers.org.uk/pay-calculator/mainscale/calculate. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.
- Naukrihub. (2016). Teacher salary in India. http://www.naukrihub.com/salary-in-india/teacher.html. Accessed 6 April 2016,
- NCTE. (2018). National Council for teacher education: notification. , Pub. L. No. 79991/2018/CDN Section-HQ. India: The Gazette of India Extraordinary.Google Scholar
- Payscale.com. (2019). High school teacher salary (United Arab Emirates). https://www.payscale.com/research/AE/Job=High_School_Teacher/Salary/0e3203aa/Late-Career. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.
- Recruit.net. (2019). Teachers needed in the UAE (Math, Physics, Chemistry). https://www.recruit.net/job/teacher_mumbai,-mh_jobs/CF3690FD0E636A7C. Accessed 31 Jan 2019.
- Ruggles, S., Alexander, J. T., Genadek, K., Goeken, R., Schroeder, M. B., & Sobek, M. (2010). Integrated Public Use Microdata Series: Version 5.0 [machine-readable database]. Minneapolis: University of MinnesotaGoogle Scholar
- Satya. (2004). Education in India: What are the implications of India’s teachers going off to UK and USA to teacher in schools there? https://prayatna.typepad.com/education/2004/07/what_are_the_im.html. Accessed 28 Jan 2019.
- Seventh Central Pay Commission. (2015). Report of the Seventh Central Pay Commission. http://7thpaycommissionnews.in/7th-pay-commission-has-finally-submitted-its-report-to-the-centre/. Accessed 10 July 2016.
- Sibal, K. (2010). Shortage of 1.2 mn teachers in India: Sibal | India News. Zeenews. https://zeenews.india.com/news/nation/shortage-of-12-mn-teachers-in-india-sibal_646295.html. Accessed 28 Jan 2019.
- Silver, M. (2010a). PPP Estimates: Applications by the International Monetary Fund (No. WP/10/253). https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WP/Issues/2016/12/31/IMF-Applications-of-Purchasing-Power-Parity-Estimates-24344. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.
- Skilled Immigrant Infocentre. (2016). Teachers Elementary & Secondary School. A Guide for newcomers to British Columbia, Vancouver Public Library, Canada. https://pwp.vpl.ca/siic/files/2018/02/Teachers_Elementary_Secondary_School.pdf. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.
- Stewart, K. (2013). Salary expectations for teaching in the United Arab Emirates | Go Overseas. http://www.gooverseas.com/blog/teaching-in-uae-salary. Accessed 6 April 2016.
- Sundaresan, B. (2016). 7th Pay Commission: How govt’s salary, appraisal system works. Hindustantimes. https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/7th-pay-commission-how-govt-s-salary-appraisal-system-works/story-vssLhTexyTxauEyzrmv2RI.html. Accessed 28 Jan 2019.
- Teaching Qualification Service. (2019). TQS category requirements. https://www.tqs.bc.ca/upgrade/requirements.pl. Accessed 18 Jan 2019.
- TES. (2018). Teacher pay scale 2018–19. https://www.tes.com/jobs/careers-advice/pay-and-conditions/qualified-teachers-pay-scales. Accessed 17 Jan 2019.
- The Globe and Mail. (2017). How B.C.’s teachers measure up against others in Canada - The Globe and Mail. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/how-bc-teachers-measure-up-against-others-in-canada/article20378154/. Accessed 18 Jan 2019.
- Thomas, S. B. (2003). India together: Disturbing teacher migration tremors. http://indiatogether.org/migrate-education. Accessed 8 April 2016.
- Tobecomeateacher.org. (2019). How to become a teacher in the United States. http://tobecomeateacher.org/the-long-and-short-of-becoming-a-teacher-in-the-u-s/. Accessed 17 Jan 2019.
- Universities and Colleges Admissions Service. (2018). How to become a secondary school teacher | UCAS. https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/secondary-school-teacher. Accessed 17 Jan 2019.
- US Department of Education. (2019). Recognition of foreign qualifications. https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html. Accessed 18 Jan 2019.
- van Leeuwan, F. (2001). Growing teacher shortage. The Teacher, 18.Google Scholar
- Varma, S. (2014). Teachers’ day: Most teachers get a pittance for pay - Times of India. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/news/Teachers-Day-Most-teachers-get-a-pittance-for-pay/articleshow/41738154.cms. Accessed 8 April 2016.
- X-rates.com. (2018). Exchange rate average (Indian Rupee) - X-Rates. https://www.x-rates.com/average/?from=AED&to=INR&amount=1&year=2019. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.