Improving Police Transparency and Accountability in Violent Encounters with African Americans
- 103 Downloads
- Alexander, M. (2010). The new jim crow: mass incarceration in the age of colorblindness. New York: The New Press.Google Scholar
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) (2015). Stop and Frisk in Chicago. ACLU of Illinois. March. At http://www.aclu-il.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ACLU_StopandFrisk_6.pdf.
- Beradini, N. (Director) (2015). Killing them safely (Documentary). Zipper Brothers Films, April 17. At https://www.netflix.com/watch/80053472?trackId=13752289&tctx=0%2C0%2Cd4b60ba65130e878605585494fdfec776be90b4c%3Ac03041e035b95e0cdcb06879a8aa9f4d30cc7d24.
- Brown, T.K. (2015). The cases where U. S. police have faced killing charges. BBC News. April 8. At http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30339943.
- CBS News (2013). How fired police officers often end up back on the job. CBS News. March 6. At http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-fired-police-officers-often-end-up-back-on-the-job/.
- Cobb, J. (2016). Policing the Police (Documentary), Frontline/PBS, June 28. At https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/policing-the-police/.
- Cordell, L.H. (2014). grand juries should be abolished. Slate, December 9. At http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2014/12/abolish_grand_juries_justice_for_eric_garner_and_michael_brown.html.
- Department of Justice (DOJ) (2016). Justice department outlines plan to enable nationwide collection of use of force data. justice news. October 13. At https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-outlines-plan-enable-nationwide-collection-use-force-data.
- Dewan, S., & Oppel, R.A. Jr.. (2017). Efforts to curb police abuses have mixed record and uncertain future. The New York Times. January 14. At https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/14/us/chicago-police-consent-decree.html.
- Elinson, Z., & Palazzolo, J. (2014). Police rarely criminally charged for on-duty shootings. The Wall Street Journal. November 24. At https://www.wsj.com/articles/police-rarely-criminally-charged-for-on-duty-shootings-1416874955.
- Fagan, J., & Harcourt, B.E. (2014). Fact sheet on the michael brown case. Columbia Law School. December 5. At http://www.law.columbia.edu/news/2014/11/michael-brown-case-fact-sheet
- Faturechi, R., & Poston, B. (2013). Behind the badge: sheriff department hired officers with histories of misconduct. Los Angeles Times. December 1. At http://graphics.latimes.com/behind-the-badge/.
- Gaines, L., & Miller, R. L. R. (2015). Criminal Justice in Action. Stamford: Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- Graham, D.A. (2015). Why is it So Hard to Track Police Killings? The Atlantic. June 3. At https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/why-is-it-so-hard-to-track-police-killings/394772/.
- Jouvenal, J. (2015). Excited delirium cited in dozens of deaths in police custody. is it real or a cover for brutality?. Washington Post. May 6. At https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/existence-of-excited-delirium-ruling-in-va-womans-death-has-experts- split/2015/05/06/b1cc9499-ddaa-474c-9e8a-9ae89a9ae679_story.html?utm_term=.3bc5b0bc1875.
- Kelly, K., & Rich, S. (2015). Forced reforms, mixed results. The Washington Post. November 13. At http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2015/11/13/forced-reforms-mixed-results/.
- Kindy, K., & Kelly, K. (2015) Thousands Dead, few prosecuted. Washington Post. April 11. At http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2015/04/11/thousands-dead-few-prosecuted/.
- Kroman, D. (2016). Disqualifying conduct rarely an obstacle for fired police to get rehired. Crosscut. April 6. At http://crosscut.com/2016/04/fired-officers-can-become-hired-officers/.
- Lee, T. (2015). DOJ report reveals problem-plagued philadelphia police department. MSNBC. March 23. At http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/doj-report-philadelphia-police-department.
- Lewis, R., & Veltman, N. (2014). Can the NYPD spot the abusive cop? WNYC News. December 5. At http://www.wnyc.org/story/can-the-nypd-spot-the-abusive-cop/.
- Lewis, R., et al. (2015). Is police misconduct a secret in your state? WNYC News. October 15. At https://project.wnyc.org/disciplinary-records/.
- Manning, P. K. (2015). Will the widespread use of body cameras improve police accountability? No. Spring: Americas Quarterly At http://www.americasquarterly.org/content/no-new-technologies-wont-change-behavior.Google Scholar
- Motivans, M. (2013). Federal justice statistics 2010- statistical tables. U.S. Department of Justice: Bureau of Justice Statistics. December. At https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fjs10st.pdf.
- New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) (2013). Stop and frisk data. NYCLU. August 12. At http://www.nyclu.org/content/stop-and-frisk-data.
- Patterson, B.E. (2015). 10 Things you should know about the killing of Laquan McDonald by police. Mother Jones. December 1. At http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/11/laquan-mcdonald-chicago-police-shooting-video-explainer.
- Picket, K. (2015). DOJ police probes and consent decrees spike under Obama. The Daily Caller. May 28. At http://www.aclu-il.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ACLU_StopandFrisk_6.pdf.
- Reiman, J., & Leighton, P. (2017). The Rich Get Richer and the Poor Get Prison: Ideology, Class and Criminal Justice. New York: Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group.Google Scholar
- Rios, V. (2011). Punished: Policing The Lives of Black and Latino Boys. New York: New York University Press.Google Scholar
- Simmons, K. C. (2015). Increasing police accountability: restoring trust and legitimacy through the appointment of independent prosecutors. Washington University Journal of Law & Policy, 49, 137–158 At http://openscholarship.wustl.edu/law_journal_law_policy/vol49/iss1/11.Google Scholar
- Skolnick, J., & Fyfe, J. (1993). Above the Law: Police and the Excessive Use of Force. New York: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, J., et al. (2016). In fatal shootings by police, 1 in 5 Officers’ names Go Undisclosed. Washington Post. April 1. At https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/in-fatal-shootings-by-police-1-In-5-officers-names-go- undisclosed/2016/03/31/4bb08bc8-ea10-11e5-b0fd-073d5930a7b7_story.html.
- The Associated Press (2015). Police: man falls from wall, dies after stun gun used. CNN News. August 10. At http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/police-man-falls-wall-dies-after-stun-gun-used.
- The Guardian (2015a). The counted: people killed by police in the U. S. The Guardian (Data Base). January – December 2015. At https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database.
- The Guardian (2015b). Bolt From the Blue. The Guardian. November 5. At https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/05/police-tasers-deaths-the-counted.
- The Guardian (2016) The counted: people killed by police in the U. S. The Guardian (Data Base). January – December 2016. At https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database.
- The Harvard Law Review (2017). Restoring legitimacy: the grand jury as the prosecutor’s administrative agency. The Harvard Law Review. February 10. At https://Harvardlawreview.org/2017/02/restoring-legitimacy/.
- Williams, T. (2016). Ousted police officers are often hired in other cities. New York Times. September 10. At https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/us/whereabouts-of-cast-out-police-officers-other-cities-often-hire-them.html.
- Zapotosky, M. et al. (2017). Sessions emphasizes the primacy of the law over his political views. The Washington Post. January 10. At https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/sessions-faces-plenty-of-issues-in-confirmation-hearings-but-is-expected-to-be-approved/2017/01/09/17d85a52-d681-11e6-9f9f-5cdb4b7f8dd7_story.html?utm_term=.2e4994f332b9.
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, part of Springer Nature 2018