Aortic valve neo-cuspidation using the Ozaki technique for acquired and congenital disease: where does this procedure currently stand?
- 26 Downloads
The surgical treatment options for pediatric aortic valve disease are limited. The Ozaki procedure, which involves templated creation of new aortic valve leaflets, has proved to be a promising surgical technique. This review aims at elaborating the indications, technical intricacies, and outcomes of the aortic valve neo-cuspidization procedure (Ozaki procedure) in the pediatric population.
KeywordsOzaki procedure Aortic valve neo-cuspidization Aortic valve repair/reconstruction AVNeo
Compliance with ethical standards
Dr. Baird has no financial relationship with JMODD but has participated in JMODD sponsored training of centers in the Ozaki procedure.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest. Dr. Baird has no financial relationship with JMODD but has participated in JMODD sponsored training of centers in the Ozaki procedure.
Ethical statements, human and animal rights, and informed consent
Not required being a review article.
- 4.Leon MB, Smith CR, Mack M, Miller DC, Moses JW, Svensson LG, et al. Transcatheter aortic-valve implantation for aortic stenosis in patients who cannot undergo surgery. N Engl J Med. 2010;363:1597–607.Google Scholar
- 6.About AVNeo [Internet]. Available from: https://avneo.net/
- 12.Ozaki S, Kawase I, Yamashita H, et al. Aortic valve reconstruction using autologous pericardium for patients aged less than 60 years. In: J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;148:934–8.Google Scholar
- 16.Rossekyn (Personal Communication, Sept 2019).Google Scholar
- 17.Baird CW, Sefton B, Chavez M, Sleeper LA, Marx GR, del Nido PJ. Congenital aortic and truncal valve reconstruction utilizing the Ozaki technique: short-term clinical results. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; In press.Google Scholar
- 38.Chivers SC, Pavy C, Vaja R, Quarto C, Ghez O, Daubeney PEF. The Ozaki procedure with CardioCel patch for children and young adults with aortic valve disease: preliminary experience – a word of caution. World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery. 2019;10(6):724–30.CrossRefGoogle Scholar