Perspective: valve sparing root repair: tips and tricks
- 19 Downloads
The remodeling and the reimplantation procedures were described more than 25 years ago with the aim of sparing otherwise normal aortic valves in the presence of a root aneurysm. Important achievements in this discipline have occurred over the past decade including development and refinement of valve preserving aortic root replacement techniques, development of a classification system for aortic insufficiency, and development of surgical approaches to cusp disease with varying cusp anatomy. The main advantage of the reimplantation is the resulting annular support, and the disadvantages are the unfavorable hemodynamics and relatively longer procedural time. Conversely, the main advantages of remodeling are the physiological hemodynamics and the shorter procedural time, and the disadvantage is the lack of annular support. With technical advances and modifications, however, the differences between these two procedures have narrowed. Today preference for a reimplantation procedure is based on the perception of a better reproducibility of the surgical procedure, an increased procedural safety due to the characteristic hemostatic feature of this surgical approach, the possibility of achieving favorable hemodynamics, and a much larger amount of data present in the literature on long-term results.
KeywordsValve sparing Aortic valve Aortic root
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Ruggero De Paulis receives royalties from Vascutek Terumo. Raffaele Scaffa declares that he has no conflicts of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with animals performed by any of the authors.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 1.Sarsam MA, Yacoub M. Remodeling of the aortic valve anulus. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1993;105:435–8.Google Scholar
- 2.David TE, Feindel CM. An aortic valve-sparing operation for patients with aortic incompetence and aneurysm of the ascending aorta. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1992;103:617–21.Google Scholar
- 5.Fukurawa K, Ohteki H, Cao ZL, et al. Evaluation of native valve-sparing aortic root reconstruction with direct imaging reimplantation or remodeling? Ann Thorac Surg. 2004;77:1636–41.Google Scholar
- 9.de Kerchove L, Mosala Nezhad Z, Boodhwani M, El Khoury G. How to perform valve sparing reimplantation in a tricuspid aortic valve. Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2013;2:105–12.Google Scholar
- 18.De Paulis R, De Matteis GM, Nardi P, Scaffa R, Colella DF, Chiarello L. A new aortic Dacron conduit for surgical treatment of aortic root pathology. Ital Heart J. 2000;1:457–63.Google Scholar