Patch materials for right ventricular outflow reconstruction: past, present, and future
- 127 Downloads
In this review, we discuss various patch materials used for reconstruction of the right ventricular outflow tract. Their relative merits and demerits are discussed. Traditional patches and their results are detailed along with a brief description of newer developments in the field.
KeywordsPatch materials Right ventricular outflow tract Tetralogy of Fallot
Compliance with ethical standards
Statement of human rights/ethical approval
All procedures performed in this study were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki Declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.D’Andrilli A, Ibrahim M, Venuta F, De Giacomo T, Coloni GF, Rendina EA. Glutaraldehyde preserved autologous pericardium for patch reconstruction of the pulmonary artery and superior vena 507 cava. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;80:357–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2004.02.012.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Lee C, Lim HG, Lee CH, Kim YJ. Effects of glutaraldehyde concen-510 tration and fixation time on material characteristics and calcification 511 of bovine pericardium: implications for the optimal method of fix-512 ation of autologous pericardium used for cardiovascular surgery. 513. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2017;24:402–6. https://doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivw356.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Agarwal R, Varghese R, Swaminathan V, Mubeena S. Hand-sewn valved bovine pericardial conduits for right ventricular outflow tract reconstruction—a single center experience.WCPCCS2017. http://wcpccs2017.org/files/downloads/WCPCCS%202017%20Full%20Program-.pdf.
- 25.Naik R, Johnson J, Kumar TKS, Philip R, Boston U, Knott-Craig CJ. Right ventricular function after repair of tetralogy of Fallot: a comparison between bovine pericardium and porcine small intestinal extracellular matrix. Cardiol Young. 2017;1–7.Google Scholar
- 26.Neethling WM, Strange G, Firth L, Smit FE. Evaluation of a tissue-engineered bovine pericardial patch in paediatric patients with congenital cardiac anomalies: initial experience with the ADAPT-treated CardioCel(R) patch. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2013;17:698–702.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 27.Brizard CP, Brink J, Horton SB, Edwards GA, Galati JC, Neethling WM. New engineering treatment of bovine pericardium confers outstanding resistance to calcification in mitral and pulmonary implantations in a juvenile sheep model. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;148:3194–201.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar