Patch materials for right ventricular outflow reconstruction: past, present, and future
- 72 Downloads
In this review, we discuss various patch materials used for reconstruction of the right ventricular outflow tract. Their relative merits and demerits are discussed. Traditional patches and their results are detailed along with a brief description of newer developments in the field.
KeywordsPatch materials Right ventricular outflow tract Tetralogy of Fallot
Compliance with ethical standards
Statement of human rights/ethical approval
All procedures performed in this study were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki Declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Rosenthal A, Fross RE, Pasternac A. Aneurysms of right ventricular outflow patches. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1972;63:735.Google Scholar
- 3.Hawe A, Rastelli GC, Ritter DG, et al. Management of the right ventricular outflow tract in severe tetralogy of Fallot. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1970;60:131.Google Scholar
- 5.D’Andrilli A, Ibrahim M, Venuta F, De Giacomo T, Coloni GF, Rendina EA. Glutaraldehyde preserved autologous pericardium for patch reconstruction of the pulmonary artery and superior vena 507 cava. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;80:357–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2004.02.012.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Lee C, Lim HG, Lee CH, Kim YJ. Effects of glutaraldehyde concen-510 tration and fixation time on material characteristics and calcification 511 of bovine pericardium: implications for the optimal method of fix-512 ation of autologous pericardium used for cardiovascular surgery. 513. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2017;24:402–6. https://doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivw356.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Chiu IS, How SW, Hou SH, Wang E. Fate of the autologous tri-cusp-valved pericardial conduit in the right ventricular outflow tract of growing pigs. Proc Natl Sci Counc Repub China B. 1992;16:23–30.Google Scholar
- 10.Gabbay S, Bortolotti U, Factor S, Shore DF, Frater RW. Calcification of implanted xenograft pericardium. Influence of site and function. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1984;87:782–7.Google Scholar
- 14.de Leval MR, McKay R, Jones M, Stark J, Macartney FJ. Modified Blalock-Taussig shunt. Use of subclavian artery orifice as flow regulator in prosthetic systemicpulmonary artery shunts. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1981;81:112–9.Google Scholar
- 16.Marcelletti C, Corno A, Giannico S, Marino B. Inferior vena cava-pulmonary artery extracardiac conduit. A new form of right heart bypass. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1990;100:228–32.Google Scholar
- 19.Agarwal R, Varghese R, Swaminathan V, Mubeena S. Hand-sewn valved bovine pericardial conduits for right ventricular outflow tract reconstruction—a single center experience.WCPCCS2017. http://wcpccs2017.org/files/downloads/WCPCCS%202017%20Full%20Program-.pdf.
- 25.Naik R, Johnson J, Kumar TKS, Philip R, Boston U, Knott-Craig CJ. Right ventricular function after repair of tetralogy of Fallot: a comparison between bovine pericardium and porcine small intestinal extracellular matrix. Cardiol Young. 2017;1–7.Google Scholar