Population-based improvement heuristic with local search for single-row facility layout problem
- 53 Downloads
The Single-Row Facility Layout Problem (SRFLP) is a well-known combinatorial optimization problem. The objective of SRFLP is to find out the arrangement of facilities with given lengths on a line so that the weighted sum of the distances between all pairs of facilities is minimized. This problem is known to be NP-hard. Hence, a population-based improvement heuristic algorithm with local search is presented in this article to solve SRFLP. The proposed algorithm works well also for the Single-Row Equidistant Facility Layout Problem (SREFLP), where the length of each facility is equal. The computational efficiency of the proposed algorithm is checked with the instances of sizes ranging from 5 to 300 available in the literature for SRFLP and SREFLP. The obtained results are compared to those from different state-of-the-art algorithms. The proposed algorithm achieves best known solutions to date for every instance considered in this article in reasonable computational time.
KeywordsSingle-row facility layout problem (SRFLP) single-row equidistant facility layout problem (SREFLP) population-based heuristic improvement heuristic local search
P R S Mahapatra, second author of this article, has been partially supported by DST-PURSE scheme, Government of India, at University of Kalyani.
- 48.Satheesh K R M, Asokan P, Kumanan S and Varma B 2008 Scatter search algorithm for single row layout problem in FMS. Adv. Prod. Eng. Manag. 3: 193–204Google Scholar
- 52.Teo Y T and Ponnambalam S G 2008 A hybrid ACO/PSO heuristic to solve single row layout problem. In: IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering, 2008. CASE 2008. IEEE, pp. 597–602Google Scholar
- 53.Kunlei L, Chaoyong Z, Liang G and Xinyu S 1995 Single row facility layout problem using an imperialist competitive algorithm. In: Proceedings of the 41st International Conference on Computers & Industrial Engineering Google Scholar
- 54.Palubeckis G 2013 Single row facility layout. https://www.personalas.ktu.lt/~ginpalu/srflp.html
- 55.Obata T 1979 Quadratic assignment problem: evaluation of exact and heuristic algorithms. Ph.D. thesisGoogle Scholar
- 60.Letchford A N and Amaral A 2011 A polyhedral approach to the single row facility layout problem. Technical Report 49043, The Department of Management Science, Lancaster UniversityGoogle Scholar