Application of an in-wheel direct drive motor based on switched reluctance motors for low-power electric vehicles
- 135 Downloads
This paper presents application of a switched reluctance motor with exterior rotor as an in-wheel direct drive motor for low-power electric vehicles (EVs). A prototype system is realized for experimental studies. Both analytical method and finite-element analysis (FEA) are used in this research to obtain characteristics of the motor. The results of the FEA and analytical calculations are presented, and compared to experimental results. The obtained test and simulation results show that the proposed system is suitable for low-power and low-cost EVs.
KeywordsSwitched reluctance motor in-wheel direct drive motor electric vehicle
This study was supported by Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology in Republic of Turkey under the Grant No. 0329-TGSD-2013.
- 3.Gottipati P, Dobzhanskyi O and Mendrela E A 2010 In-wheel brushless DC motor for a wheel chair drive. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems (PEDES), pp. 1–4Google Scholar
- 4.Cinar M A and Kuyumcu F E 2007 Design and drives simulation of an in-wheel switched reluctance motor for electric vehicle applications. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Electrical Machines and Drives (IEMDC), pp. 50–54Google Scholar
- 7.Lindsay J F, Arumugam R and Krishnan R 1986 Magnetic field analysis of a switched reluctance motor with multitooth per stator pole. Proc. Inst. Electric. Eng. 133(6): 347–353Google Scholar
- 8.Fulton N N 1987 The application of CAD to switched reluctance drives. In: Proceedings of the Conference on Electrical Machines and Drives, pp. 275–279Google Scholar
- 11.Suresh G, Fahimi B, Rahman K M and Ehsani M 1999 Inductance based position encoding for sensorless SRM drives. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 832–837Google Scholar