The Inveterate Tinkerer 15. Miscellaneous Fluid Instabilities
- 2 Downloads
In this series of articles, the author discusses various phenomena in fluid dynamics, which may be investigated via tabletop experiments using low-cost or home-made instruments. The fifteenth article in this series demonstrates some fluid instabilities.
KeywordsReynolds number Rayleigh–Plateau instability Faraday instability Taylor–Couette instability Rosensweig instability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E Guyon, J Hulin, L Petit and C Mitescu, Physical Hydrodynamics, Oxford University Press, 2nd ed., 2015.Google Scholar
- J Plateau, Experimental and Theoretical Statics of Liquids Subject to Molecular Forces Only, Trubner and Co., London, 1873.Google Scholar
- Lord Rayleigh, On the Instability of Jets, Proc. Lond. Math. Soc., Vol.1, p.4, 1879.Google Scholar
- R Tagg, A Guide to Literature Related to the Taylor–Couette Problem, Ordered and Turbulent Patterns in Taylor–Couette Flow, Springer, 1992.Google Scholar
- A Smits and T Lim (Eds.), Flow Visualisation: Techniques and Examples, Imperial College Press 2012.Google Scholar
- R Rosensweig, Magnetic Fluids, Sci. Amer., October, p.136, 1982.Google Scholar