MusatransSSRDB (a transcriptome derived SSR database) – An advanced tool for banana improvement
- 14 Downloads
Availability of transcriptome datasets for use in accelerated molecular-based breeding in Musa species is limited. Illumina Hiseq technology was employed to determine differential gene expression between the contrasting cultivars for three different stresses (Eumusae leaf spot –Mycosphaerella eumusae, root lesion nematode – Pratylenchus coffeae and moisture deficit stress) under challenged and unchallenged conditions. An average of 34.72 million of reads was assembled into ~47629 contigs, and ~5,466 simple sequence repeats (SSR) from each library were identified. GO annotation and KEGG pathway analysis were carried for all the transcripts and the SSR, SNPs were also detected. Based on this information, a MusatransSSRDB has been developed. Currently, the database consists of 32,800 SSRs with the unique information like putative function of the SSR-containing genes and their metabolic pathway and expression profiling under various stress conditions. This database provides information on in silico polymorphic SSRs (2830 SSRs) between the contrasting cultivars for each stress and within stress. Information on in silico polymorphic SSRs specific to differentially expressed genes under challenged condition for each stress can also be accessed. This database facilitates the retrieval of results by navigating the tabs for cultivars, stress and polymorphism. This database was developed using HTML, Java and PHP; datasets are stored in MySQL database and accessible in the public domain (http://bioinfnrcb.byethost7.com/nrcbbio/). This unique information facilitates the banana breeder to select the SSR primers based on specific objectives. MusatransSSRDB along with other genomics databases will facilitate the genetic dissection and breeding for complex traits in banana. Thus, this database is a step forward in economizing cost, time, manpower and other resources.
KeywordsBanana database in silico polymorphism SSR transcriptome
Basic Local Alignment Search Tool
Kyoto Encyclopedia of Genes and Genomes
simple sequence repeats
This study was supported by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), India, under the project NPTC–Functional Genomics. We express our sincere gratitude to Director, ICAR–National Research Centre for Banana, India, for the facilities provided to develop this database.
- Backiyarani S, Uma S, Saraswathi MS and Chandrasekar A 2014 Transcriptome Analysis of Musa and its applications in banana improvement; in Sustainable Horticultural Systems (eds) Nandwani D (Springer, Cham) pp 275–299Google Scholar
- Dela Cruz FS, Jr., Gueco LS, Damasco OP, Huelgas VC, dela Cueva FM, Dizon TO, Sison MLJ, Banasihan IG, Sinohin VO and Molina AB Jr 2008 Farmers’ handbook on introduced and local banana cultivars in the Philippines. (Bioversity Int) p 67Google Scholar
- Kadkhodaei S, Khayyam Nekouei M, Shahnazari M, Etminani H, Imani A, Ghaderi Zefrehei M, Elahy M and Arbakariya BA 2011 Molecular tagging of agronomic traits using simple sequence repeats: Informative markers for almond (Prunusdulcis) molecular breeding. Aust. J. Crop. Sci. 5 1199–1209Google Scholar
- Li C, Shao J, Wang Y, Li W, Guo D, Yan B, Xia Y and Peng M 2013 Analysis of banana transcriptome and global gene expression profiles in banana roots in response to infection by race 1 and tropical race 4 of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. Cubense. BMC Genomics 14 851Google Scholar
- Menon R, Cherian A, Suma A, Maicykutty Mathew P, Nair S and Aipe KC 2011 Developing resistant banana and plantain cultivars through conventional breeding techniques. Acta Hort. 897 207–213Google Scholar
- Passos MA, de Cruz VO, Emediato FL, de Teixeira CC, Azevedo VC, Brasileiro AC, Amorim EP, Ferreira CF, et al. 2013 Analysis of the leaf transcriptome of Musa acuminata during interaction with Mycosphaerella musicola: gene assembly, annotation and marker development. BMC Genomics 14 78CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Uma S, Backiyarani S, Saravanakumar AS, Chandrasekar A, Thangavelu R and Saraswathi MS 2016 Identification of Mycosphaerella eumusae responsive unique genes/transcripts from a resistant banana cultivar. Acta Hortic. 1114 https://doi.org/10.17660/actahortic.2016.1114.16