Expression of Histone Deacetylases HDAC1 and HDAC2 and Their Role in Apoptosis in the Penumbra Induced by Photothrombotic Stroke
- 31 Downloads
In ischemic stroke, vascular occlusion rapidly induces tissue infarct. Over the ensuing hours, damage spreads to adjacent tissue and forms transition zone (penumbra), which is potentially salvageable. Epigenetic regulation of chromatin structure controls gene expression and protein synthesis. We studied the expression of histone deacetylases HDAC1 and HDAC2 in the penumbra at 4 or 24 h after photothrombotic stroke (PTS) in the rat brain cortex. PTS increased the expression of HDAC1 and HDAC2 in penumbra and caused the redistribution of HDAC1 but not HDAC2 from the neuronal nuclei to cytoplasm. In astrocytes, HDAC1 expression and localization did not change. In neurons, HDAC2 localized exclusively in nuclei, but in astrocytes, it was also observed in processes. PTS induced neuronal apoptosis in the penumbra. TUNEL-stained apoptotic neurons co-localized with HDAC2 but not HDAC1. These data suggest that HDAC2 may represent the potential target for anti-stroke therapy and its selective inhibition may be a promising strategy for the protection of the penumbra tissue after ischemic stroke.
KeywordsStroke Penumbra Apoptosis Histone deacetylase
This study was funded by the Russian Science Foundation (grant # 18-15-00110).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interests.
- 17.Kouzarides T, Berger SL (2006) Chromatin modifications and mechanisms. In: Allis CD, Jenuwein T, Reinberg D (eds) Epigenetics. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, New York, pp. 191–209Google Scholar
- 19.Volmar CH, Wahlestedt C (2015) Histone deacetylases (HDACs) and brain functions. Neuroepigenetics 1:20–27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepig.2014.10.002
- 31.Paxinos G, Franklin KBJ (2013) Paxinos and Franklin’s the mouse brain in stereotaxic coordinates. Academic Press, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 37.Andrews RJ (1991) Transhemispheric diaschisis. A review and comment Stroke 22:943–949Google Scholar
- 38.Demyanenko S, Berezhnaya E, Neginskaya M, Rodkin S, Dzreyan V (2019) Pitinova M (2019) Сlass II histone deacetylases in the post-stroke recovery period-expression, cellular, and subcellular localization-promising targets for neuroprotection. J Cell Biochem. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.29266