Association of the Polymorphism of rs1799822 on Carnitine Palmitoyltransferase II Gene with Severe Enterovirus 71 Encephalitis in Chinese Children
- 2 Downloads
Mutations of the CPT2 gene cause CPT2 deficiency and affect the β-oxidation of fatty acids. This study examined the consequence of a polymorphism of rs1799822 in the CPT2 gene with respect to EV71 encephalitis in Chinese children. The study included 406 cases of both mild and severe EV71 infection diagnosed by RT-PCR, together with controls (n = 348). We used an improved multiplex ligation detection reaction technique to detect the polymorphism of rs1799822 in the CPT2 gene. The frequency of the (AG+GG) genotype and G allele in the EV71 infection group and in the severe EV71 encephalitis group was significantly lower than in the control group (p = 0.012 vs. p = 0.005, and p = 0.022 vs. p = 0.006, respectively). The frequency of the (AG+GG) genotype and G allele in the severe EV71 encephalitis group was markedly lower than in the mild EV71 encephalitis group (p = 0.045, p = 0.033). The ATP levels in the blood of the (AG+GG) genotype were distinctly higher than in the AA genotype in mild and severe EV71 encephalitis patients (P = 0.037, P = 0.040). A polymorphism of rs1799822 in the CPT2 gene is associated with the severity of EV71 encephalitis and may be one of the protection factors of severe EV71 encephalitis.
KeywordsCarnitine palmitoyltransferase II EV71 encephalitis Polymorphism Chinese
This study was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant number 31640047). The authors wish to thank Dr. Yu Zhang of Qingdao Municipal Hospital, who performed the ophthalmic examination, and Genesky Biotechnologies Inc. (Shanghai, China), who assisted with the genetic analysis. The authors thank their patients and families.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Chen ZB, Fu ZR, Wu FL, Sui AH, Yang K, Liu XM, Qian N, Zhao N, Chen ZZ (2010) Relationship between variation of coxsackievirus B3 VP1 sequence from cerebrospinal fluid of children and severity of damage to central nervous system. Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi 48:268–272Google Scholar
- Fujimoto T, Chikahira M, Yoshida S, Ebira H, Hasegawa A, Totsuka A, Nishio O (2002) Outbreak of central nervous system disease associated with hand, foot, and mouth disease in Japan during the summer of 2000: detection and molecular epidemiology of enterovirus 71. Microbiol Immunol 46:621–627CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kobayashi Y, Ishikawa N, Tsumura M, Fujii Y, Okada S, Shigematsu Y, Kobayashi M (2013) Acute severe encephalopathy related to human herpesvirus-6 infection in a patient with carnitine palmitoyltransferase 2 deficiency carrying thermolabile variants. Brain and Development 35:449–453CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kubota M, Chida J, Hoshino H, Ozawa H, Koide A, Kashii H, Koyama A, Mizuno Y, Hoshino A, Yamaguchi M, Yao D, Yao M, Kido H (2012) Thermolabile CPT II variants and low blood ATP levels are closely related to severity of acute encephalopathy in Japanese children. Brain and Development 34:20–27CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu XL, Wang ZG, Yang TT, Yi Y (2011) Molecular epidemiology of human enterovirus 71 strains in Qingdao region, Shandong province, 2007 - 2009. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 32:382–384Google Scholar
- Ma JT, Chen H, Ma XM, Hao Q, Zhan J, Xia Q, Yan DM, Wang DY, Xu WB (2009) Genetic characterization of enterovirus 71 stains isolated in Ningxia province in 2008. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 30:726–728Google Scholar
- Mak CM, Lam CW, Fong NC, Siu WK, Lee HC, Siu TS, Lai CK, Law CY, Tong SF, Poon WT, Lam DS, Ng HL, Yuen YP, Tam S, Que TL, Kwong NS, Chan AY (2011) Fatal viral infection-associated encephalopathy in two Chinese boys: a genetically determined risk factor of thermolabile carnitine palmitoyltransferase II variants. J Hum Genet 56:617–621CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Takahashi Y, Sano R, Kominato Y, Kubo R, Takahashi K, Nakajima T, Takeshita H, Ishige T (2016) A case of sudden unexpected infant death involving a homozygotic twin with the thermolabile CPT2 variant, accompanied by rotavirus infection and treatment with an antibiotic containing pivalic acid. Leg Med (Tokyo) 22:13–17CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Teng Z, Tan XJ, Shao JJ, Zhang Y, Kuang XZ, Zhang X, Xu WB (2010) Epidemiology and etiology of hand-foot-and-mouth disease in Shanghai, 2009. Bing Du Xue Bao 26:437–442Google Scholar
- Yao X, Mao QY, Huang WJ, He P, Zhou C, Zhang W, Liang ZL, Li FX, Wang JZ (2009) Genetic characterization of enterovirus 71 complete genome isolated in Beijing, 2008. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 30:729–732Google Scholar