Mild Hypothermia Prevents NO-Induced Cytotoxicity in Human Neuroblastoma Cells Via Induction of COX-2
- 51 Downloads
The cold-inducible protein RBM3 mediates hypothermic neuroprotection against nitric oxide (NO)-induced cell death. Meanwhile, it is well-known that cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) is upregulated by RBM3 in several types of cells; however, it is still unclear whether COX-2 contributes to the neuroprotective effects of mild hypothermia/RBM3 against NO-induced cell death. Using human SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells, it was revealed that NO remarkably downregulates the expression of COX-2 at both mRNA and protein levels. When COX-2 was silenced using siRNA technique, cells became more sensitive to NO-induced cell death. Conversely, the overexpression of COX-2 significantly prevented NO-induced cell death in SH-SY5Y cells, indicating a pro-survival role of COX-2. Upon mild hypothermia pre-treatment, COX-2 was notably induced at both mRNA and protein levels; however, COX-2 silencing abrogated hypothermia-related neuroprotection against NO-induced cell death. Furthermore, it was revealed that either silencing or overexpression of RBM3 had no effects on the expression of COX-2 in SH-SY5Y cells. These findings suggest that mild hypothermia could protect neuroblastoma cells against NO-induced cell death by inducing COX-2 in a RBM3-independent manner.
KeywordsMild hypothermia RBM3 COX2 Neuroprotection Nitric oxide
We thank Medsci (www.medsci.com) for the linguistic assistance during the preparation of this manuscript.
This work was sponsored for HY by National Natural Science Foundation of China (81771336 and U1704186), Henan Program for Science and Technology Development (162102310490), and Henan Key Laboratory of Biological Psychiatry (ZDSYS2015005).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Edwards AD, Brocklehurst P, Gunn AJ, Halliday H, Juszczak E, Levene M, Strohm B, Thoresen M, Whitelaw A, Azzopardi D (2010) Neurological outcomes at 18 months of age after moderate hypothermia for perinatal hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy: synthesis and meta-analysis of trial data. Bmj 340:c363CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hao CM, Komhoff M, Guan Y, Redha R, Breyer MD (1999) Selective targeting of cyclooxygenase-2 reveals its role in renal medullary interstitial cell survival. The Am J Physiol 277:F352–F359Google Scholar
- Hida T, Yatabe Y, Achiwa H, Muramatsu H, Kozaki K, Nakamura S, Ogawa M, Mitsudomi T, Sugiura T, Takahashi T (1998) Increased expression of cyclooxygenase 2 occurs frequently in human lung cancers, specifically in adenocarcinomas. Cancer Res 58:3761–3764Google Scholar
- Jacobs S, Hunt R, Tarnow-Mordi W, Inder T, Davis P (2007) Cooling for newborns with hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev:CD003311Google Scholar
- Masunaga R, Kohno H, Dhar DK, Ohno S, Shibakita M, Kinugasa S, Yoshimura H, Tachibana M, Kubota H, Nagasue N (2000) Cyclooxygenase-2 expression correlates with tumor neovascularization and prognosis in human colorectal carcinoma patients. Clin Cancer Res 6:4064–4068Google Scholar
- Murphy MP (1998) Nitric oxide and cell death. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta:401–414Google Scholar
- Nomura Y, Uehara T, Nakazawa M (1996) Neuronal apoptosis by glial NO: involvement of inhibition of glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase. Hum Cell 9:205–214Google Scholar
- Sano H, Kawahito Y, Wilder RL, Hashiramoto A, Mukai S, Asai K, Kimura S, Kato H, Kondo M, Hla T (1995) Expression of cyclooxygenase-1 and -2 in human colorectal cancer. Cancer Res 55:3785–3789Google Scholar
- Sheng H, Shao J, Morrow JD, Beauchamp RD, DuBois RN (1998) Modulation of apoptosis and Bcl-2 expression by prostaglandin E2 in human colon cancer cells. Cancer Res 58:362–366Google Scholar
- Wang L, Cheng BF, Yang HJ, Wang M, Feng ZW (2015) NF-kappaB protects human neuroblastoma cells from nitric oxide-induced apoptosis through upregulating biglycan. Am J Transl Res 7:1541–1552Google Scholar
- Yu X, Yang Y, Yuan H, Wu M, Li S, Gong W et al (2017) Inhibition of COX-2/PGE2 cascade ameliorates cisplatin-induced mesangial cell apoptosis. Am J Transl Re 9:1222–1229Google Scholar
- Zimmermann KC, Sarbia M, Weber AA, Borchard F, Gabbert HE, Schror K (1999) Cyclooxygenase-2 expression in human esophageal carcinoma. Cancer Res 59:198–204Google Scholar