Mapping EORTC-QLQ-C30 and QLQ-CR29 onto EQ-5D-5L in Colorectal Cancer Patients
- 30 Downloads
Patient-level utility data are needed for cost-utility analysis; in oncology, however, the data are commonly gathered using disease-specific questionnaires that are often not appropriate. Present study aimed to derive an algorithm which can map the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire-C30 (EORTC QLQ-C30) scales and the Colorectal Cancer-Specific Quality Of Life Questionnaire (QLQ-CR29) scales onto the EuroQoL 5-Dimension 5-Level (EQ-5D-5L) values in patients with colorectal cancer (CRC).
Using the Ordinary Least Square (OLS) model, a cross-sectional dataset of 252 patients with CRC were gathered from three academic centers of cancer treatment in Tehran in 2017. The predicted R2 (Pred R2) and adjusted R2 (Adj R2) are used to evaluate model goodness of fit. Additionally, mean absolute error (MAE), root mean square error (RMSE), Spearman’s correlation coefficients (ρ), and intraclass correlation (ICC) are applied to assess predictive ability of models. The tenfold cross-validation procedure was applied for validation models.
According to the results of our study, the model C4 from EORTC QLQ-C30 was the best predictive model (Pred R2 = 66.57%, Adj R2 = 67.67%, RMSE = 0.10173, MAE = 0.07840). Also, the model R4 from QLQ-CR29 performed the best for EQ-5D-5L (Adj R2 = 48.42%, Pred R2 = 45.54%, MAE = 0.10051, RMSE = 0.12997).
The mapping algorithm successfully mapped the EORTC QLQ-C30 and QLQ-CR29 scales onto the EQ-5D-5L values; therefore, it enables policymakers to convert cancer-specific questionnaires scores to the preference-based scores.
KeywordsEORTC QLQ-C30 QLQ-CR29 EQ-5D-5L Mapping Colorectal cancer Quality of life
The authors hereby bestow much gratitude to the chemotherapy and radiography departments of Imam Khomeini, Shohadaye Tajrish, and Shohadaye Haft Tir Hospitals for their valuable collaboration and participation in the present study. We also express our gratitude to EuroQoL Group who converted EQ-5D-3L into EQ-5D-5L values. This report was approved by the ethics committee of the three selected centers.
This study was funded by Iranian National Science Foundation (grant number 96010306), and Tehran University of Medical Sciences (grant number 240/1938).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
This report is part of a PhD project that was and was approved by the ethics committee of the three selected centers, registration number: 240/1938.
Informed consent was obtained from all patients included in the study.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 17.Antunes P, Ferreira LN, Ferreira PL, Pereira LN, editors. Comparing the EQ-5D-3L and 5L versions in a sample of young Portuguese adults. Quality of life research. Dordrecht: Springer; 2016.Google Scholar
- 20.QLQ E. C30 Reference values. 0. Quality of Life Departement, EORTC Headquaters, Brüssel, Belgien. 2008.Google Scholar
- 22.Khazaeli N, Golshiri P, Farajzadegan Z, Hemati S, Amouheidari A, Hakimian MR, et al. Evaluating the validity and reliability of Persian version of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life questionnaire for colorectal Cancer (EORTC QLQ-CR29). Journal of Isfahan Medical School. 2014;32(276).Google Scholar
- 23.Montazeri A, Harirchi I, Vahdani M, Khaleghi F, Jarvandi S, Ebrahimi M, et al. The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-C30): translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Support Care Cancer. 1999;7(6):400–6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Rabin R, Oemar M, Oppe M, Janssen B, Herdman M. EQ-5D-3L user guide. Basic information on how to use the EQ-5D-5L instrument Rotterdam: EuroQol group, vol. 22; 2011.Google Scholar
- 25.Goudarzi R, Zeraati H, Sari AA, Rashidian A, Mohammad K. Population-based preference weights for the EQ-5D health states using the visual analogue scale (VAS) in Iran. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2016;18(2).Google Scholar
- 26.Ameri H, Yousefi M, Yaseri M, Nahvijou A, Arab M, Akbari Sari A. Mapping the cancer-specific QLQ-C30 onto the generic EQ-5D-5L and SF-6D in colorectal cancer patients. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2018:1–8.Google Scholar
- 31.van Reenen M, Janssen B. EQ-5D-5L user guide: basic information on how to use the EQ-5D-5L instrument. Rotterdam: EuroQol Research Foundation; 2015.Google Scholar