Bile Duct Hamartoma Mimicking Liver Metastasis in Suspected Porcelain Gallbladder: a Case Report
- 8 Downloads
Bile duct hamartoma, also called as von Mayenburg complexes, are rare hepatic lesions arising due to a disturbance in the ductal plate remodeling during embryogenesis.  The incidence is estimated to be 0.69 to 5.6% in autopsy series. [2, 3] Solitary multicystic bile duct hamartoma are extremely rare and till 2014 only ten cases have been reported in the English literature.  We report a case of incidental solitary multicystic biliary hamartoma in a patient undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy for suspected porcelain gallbladder.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
Informed consent was obtained from the patient regarding the usage of her information for the purpose of publication.
- 3.Redston MS, Wanless IR. The hepatic von Meyenburg complex: prevalence and association with hepatic and renal cysts among 2843 autopsies [corrected]. Mod Pathol. 1996;9(3):233–7.Google Scholar
- 5.Ioannidis O, Iordanidis F, Paraskevas G, Ntoumpara M, Tsigkriki L, Chatzopoulos S, et al. Incidentally discovered white subcupsular liver nodules during laparoscopic surgery: biliary hamartoma and peribiliary gland hamartoma. Klin Onkol. 2012;25(6):468–70.Google Scholar
- 6.Song JS, Noh SJ, Cho BH, Moon WS. Multicystic biliary hamartoma of the liver. Korean J Pathol. 2013;47(3):275–8. https://doi.org/10.4132/KoreanJPathol.2013.47.3.275.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Eguchi S, Tajima Y, Yanaga K, Okudaira S, Furui J, Hayashi T, et al. Hilar bile duct cancer associated with preoperatively undetectable von Meyenburg complex--report of a case. Hepatogastroenterology. 2004;51(59):1301–3.Google Scholar
- 17.Bieze M, Verheij J, Phoa SS, van Gulik TM (2013) Von Meyenburg complexes mimicking metastatic disease at laparotomy for focal nodular hyperplasia. BMJ Case Rep 2013. doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2013-010250