Giant Hepatic Adenoma in a 12-Year-Old Girl
- 24 Downloads
Hepatic adenomas (HA) are benign tumours and constitute 2% of all the liver tumours with an annual incidence of 3–4 per million in Europe and North America . There has been an increase in incidence owing to increase in the use of oestrogen-based contraceptive medication and increased detection due to widespread use of imaging modalities. The common predisposing factor for hepatic adenoma is the use of oestrogen-based oral contraceptive pills. Here, we present a case of giant hepatic adenoma in a young girl in whom no predisposing factors could be identified.
A 12-year-old girl presented with an acute onset of abdominal pain and vomiting for 2 days. She was evaluated elsewhere and was diagnosed to have acute pancreatitis due to elevated amylase (248 U/L, 22–80 U/L) and lipase (1680 U/L, 13–60 U/L) levels. The patient did not have any history of previous hospital admissions or significant medical history. There was no relevant family history of liver...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Provenance and Peer Review
Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Research Involving Human Participants and/or Animals
- 1.Rooks JB, Ory HW, Ishak KG, et al. Epidemiology of hepatocellular adenoma-The role of oral contraceptive use. Jr.JAMA. 1979 Aug 17;242(7):644–8 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1979.03300070040020
- 2.Edmondson HA. Tumours of the liver and intrahepatic bile ducts. section 7, fascicle 25. Atlas of tumour pathology. Washington: Armed Forces Institute of Pathology; 1958.Google Scholar
- 4.Rosenberg L. The risk of liver neoplasia in relation to combined oral contraceptive use. Contraception. 1991;43(6):643–52. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-7824(91)90007-3.
- 8.Richter WO, Ritter MM, Wiebecke B, et al. Klinefelter's syndrome and liver adenoma. U. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1991;13(2):214–6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004836-199104000-00020
- 10.Lack EE, Ornvold K. Focal nodular hyperplasia and hepatic adenoma: a review of eight cases in the pediatric age group. J Surg Oncol. 1986;33(2):129–35. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.2930330217.
- 11.Rosencrantz RA, Wu Y, Sonke PY, et al. Giant hepatocellular adenoma in a previously obese thirteen-year-old boy. Ann Hepatol. 2015;14(4):559–63.Google Scholar
- 12.Flowers BF, McBurney RP, Vera SR. Ruptured hepatic adenoma. A spectrum of presentation and treatment. Am Surg. 1990;56(6):380–3.Google Scholar