Colon Metastasis, 8 years after Gastrectomy, for Stage I Gastric Cancer
- 44 Downloads
Gastric cancers and particularly signet ring cell carcinoma are aggressive tumors and have poor prognosis. The recurrence rate after curative treatment of gastric cancer varies between 40 and 65% in 5 years . These recurrences mainly concern stage II cancers or higher and occur in 70% of cases in the first 2 years; beyond 5 years, they are of the order of 6% . Metastases in the gastrointestinal tract are rare with a rate of 2.3% in a Japanese study . We report a case of stager I gastric signet ring cell carcinoma which recurred 8 years later at an unusual site which is the colon.
A 62-year-old man underwent surgery at the age of 54 for a tumor of the gastric antrum. He had a partial gastrectomy with a D1 flushing. Pathological examonation revealed a signet ring cell carcinoma of the gastric antrum invading the muscularis propria. The limitations of duodenal and gastric resections were not invaded; none of the 18 removed lymph nodes were positive....
The authors declare that there are no specific acknowledgements
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors certify that there are funds or conflicts of interest concerning this manuscript.
- 8.Feczko PJ, Collins DD, Mezwa DG. Metastatic disease involving the gastrointestinal tract. Radiol Clin N Am. 1993;31(6):1359–73.Google Scholar
- 9.Caramella E, Bruneton JN, Roux P, Aubanel D, Lecomte P. Metastases of the digestive tract. Report of 77 cases and review of the literature. Eur J Radiol. 1983;3(4):331–8.Google Scholar
- 10.Nushijima Y, Nakano K, Sugimoto K, Nakaguchi K, Kan K, Maruyama H, et al. A case of metastatic gastric cancer originating from transverse colon cancer. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2014;41(12):1802–4.Google Scholar
- 12.Higuchi I, Akiyama Y, Yamamoto M, Tanigawa T, Hasuike Y, Miyamoto M. A case of metastatic colon carcinoma following curative resection for advanced gastric cancer associated with metastases to the liver and gallbladder. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2014;41(12):2422–4.Google Scholar
- 13.Seow-En I, Seow-Choen F. Intestinal type gastric adenocarcinoma with unusual synchronous metastases to the colorectum and bladder. World J Clin Cases. 3(6):533–7.Google Scholar