Extracellular Expression of L-Aspartate-α-Decarboxylase from Bacillus tequilensis and Its Application in the Biosynthesis of β-Alanine
- 29 Downloads
L-aspartate-α-decarboxylase was extracellularly expressed to enhance its production for β-alanine biosynthesis. L-aspartate-α-decarboxylase and cutinase were coexpressed in Escherichia coli; more than 40% of the L-aspartate-α-decarboxylase was secreted into the medium. Selection of best conditions among tested variables enhanced L-aspartate-α-decarboxylase production by the recombinant strain. The total L-aspartate-α-decarboxylase activity reached 20.3 U/mL. Analysis of the enzymatic properties showed that the optimum temperature and pH for L-aspartate-α-decarboxylase were 60 °C and 7.5, respectively. Enzyme activity was stable at pH 4.0–8.5 and displayed sufficient thermal stability at temperatures < 50 °C. In addition, enzymatic synthesis of β-alanine was performed using extracellularly expressed L-aspartate-α-decarboxylase, and a mole conversion rate of > 99% was reached with a substrate concentration of 1.5 M. Extracellular expression of L-aspartate-α-decarboxylase resulted in increased enzyme production, indicating its possible application in the enzymatic synthesis of β-alanine.
KeywordsL-aspartate-α-decarboxylase β-Alanine Bacillus tequilensis Extracellular expression Biosynthesis
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 5.Williamson, J. M., & Brown, G. M. (1979). Purification and properties of L-aspartate-alpha-decarboxylase, an enzyme that catalyzes the formation of beta-alanine in Escherichia coli. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 254(16), 8074–8082.Google Scholar
- 7.Dusch, N., Pühler, A., & Kalinowski, J. (1999). Expression of the Corynebacterium glutamicum panD gene encoding L-aspartate-alpha-decarboxylase leads to pantothenate overproduction in Escherichia coli. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 65(4), 1530–1539.Google Scholar
- 17.Feng, Z., Zhang, J., Chen, G., Cha, Y., Liu, J., Ge, Y., Cheng, S., & Yu, B. (2016). Isolation, identification and fermentation optimization of Bacillus tequilensis PanD37 producing L-aspartate α- decarboxylase. Acta Microbiologica Sinica, 56(1), 44–55.Google Scholar
- 19.Bartolomeo, M. P., & Maisano, F. (2006). Validation of a reversed-phase HPLC method for quantitative amino acid analysis. Journal of Biomolecular Techniques Jbt, 17(17), 131–137.Google Scholar
- 20.Zhu, H. Y., & Li, Q. (2006). Strategies for expression of soluble heterologous proteins in Escherichia coli. Chinese Journal of Process Engineering, 6(1), 150–155.Google Scholar