UV-curable waterborne polyurethane dispersions modified with a trimethoxysilane end-capping agent and edge-hydroxylated boron nitride
- 13 Downloads
In this study, waterborne polyurethane (WPU) dispersions were prepared using a trimethoxysilane end-capping agent (DAA-GPTMS) derived from diallylamine (DAA), (3-glycidoxypropyl)methyldiethoxysilane (GPTMS) and modified with edge-hydroxylated boron nitride (hBN-OH) nanosheets. The WPU films containing DAA-GPTMS possessed remarkable hydrophobicity and favorable water repellency, attaining a contact angle of 101.2° and a 52% decrease in water absorption relative to those of the pure WPU. When the contents of DAA-GPTMS and hBN-OH were 7.5 wt% and 0.2 wt%, respectively, the synergetic effect between the DAA-GPTMS and the hBN-OH nanosheets greatly enhanced the physical and mechanical properties of the nanocomposite films, i.e., the stress doubled and the Young’s modulus increased by fivefold compared to those of pure WPU. Embedding 0.2 wt% of the hBN-OH nanosheets in the WPU coatings resulted in a lower corrosion current density (1.0 × 10−10 A cm−2) and more positive corrosion potential (− 0.63 V). The results demonstrate that WPU/hBN-OH nanocomposite coatings possess great potential for corrosion protection.
KeywordsWaterborne polyurethane Trimethoxysilane end-capping agent Boron nitride nanosheets UV-curable
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (U1805253, 51673161); Scientific and Technological Innovation Platform of Fujian Province (2014H2006).
- 8.Ellinas, K, Pujari, SP, Dragatogiannis, DA, Charitidis, CA, Gogolides, E, “Plasma Micro-Nanotextured, Scratch, Water and Hexadecane Resistant, Superhydrophobic, and Superamphiphobic Polymeric Surfaces with Perfluorinated Monolayers.” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 6 6510–6524 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Tan, J, Liu, W, Wang, Z, “Preparation and Performance of Waterborne UV-Curable Polyurethane Containing Long Fluorinated Side Chains.” J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 134 44506 (2017)Google Scholar
- 36.ISO 14896: 2009 Polyurethane Raw Materials—Determination of Isocyanate Content.Google Scholar
- 37.ISO 2409: 2013 Paints and Varnishes—Cross-Cut Test.Google Scholar
- 38.ISO 15184: 2012 Paints and Varnishes—Determination of Film Hardness by Pencil Test.Google Scholar
- 39.Xu, GW, Waterborne Polyurethane Materials. Chemical Industry Press, Beijing (2006)Google Scholar