Polymethyl (hydro)/polydimethylsilazane-derived coatings applied on AA1050: effect of the dilution in butyl acetate on the structural and electrochemical properties
Polyorganosilazane (PSZ) has been used for many years as a ceramic precursor for the preparation of silicon carbonitrides. Recently, polymethyl (hydro)/polydimethylsilazane-derived coatings that can be cured with atmospheric moisture at low temperatures have attracted interest due to their hydrophobic nature and electrochemical properties. In this work, polymethyl (hydro)/polydimethylsilazane-derived coatings have been deposited on aluminum alloy AA1050. The effect of the PSZ precursor concentration (5–40 v/v%) on the final properties of the coatings has been investigated. Butyl acetate has been employed as solvent. The layers were applied on the substrate by dipping. The experimental results showed that the concentration of the PSZ in the solvent strongly affects the dry thickness of the hybrid layer. The electrochemical impedance spectroscopy measurements revealed that the coatings derived from PSZ precursor concentration higher than 20 v/v% are protective and homogenous. Contact angle measurements evidenced that the presence of the coatings increased the hydrophobicity of the substrate as well as the oleophobicity regardless of the dilution in the organic solvent. The graffiti resistance of the coatings has been demonstrated to be acceptable regardless of the dilution of the PSZ precursor, in the investigated range.
KeywordsPolysilazanes Thin films EIS AA1050
The authors are grateful to Stefano Corrado (Merck SpA, Milan, Italy) for the materials supply and the useful discussion.
- 1.Plueddemann, EP, Silane Coupling Agents, 2nd ed. Plenum Press, New York (1990)Google Scholar
- 2.Mittal, KL (ed.) Silanes and Other Coupling Agents, Vol. 4. VSP Brill, Leiden (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Mittal, KL (ed.) Silanes and Other Coupling Agents, Vol. 5. VSP Brill, Leiden (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.Lenz Leite, M, Barroso, G, Parchovianský, M, Galusek, D, Ionescu, E, Krenkel, W, Motz, G, “Synthesis and Characterization of Yttrium and Ytterbium Silicates from Their Oxides and an Oligosilazane by the PDC Route for Coating Applications to Protect Si3N4 in Hot Gas Environments.” J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 37 (16) 5177–5191 (2017)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Lukacs, A, Knasiak, GJ, “Thermally Stable, Moisture Curable Polysilazanes and Polysiloxazanes.” US Patent US6652978B2, 2003Google Scholar
- 25.Vu, C, Osterod, F, Brand, S, Ryan, K, “Silicon and Nitrogen.” Eur. Coat. J., 38 1–11 (2008)Google Scholar
- 28.ASTM D6578/D6578M − 13 standard, Standard Practice for Determination of Graffiti Resistance. ASTM International, West ConshohockenGoogle Scholar
- 32.CIE 15 Technical Report: Colorimetry, 3rd ed.; International Commission on Illumination, Bureau Central de la CIE: Paris, France (2004)Google Scholar
- 33.Gulrajani, ML, Colour Measurement: Principles, Advances and Industrial Applications. Woodhead Publishing, Oxford (2016)Google Scholar