Understanding the role of silane pretreatments in an organic coating system. Part 1: corrosion performance and interfacial property
- 9 Downloads
This work aimed at understanding the role of silane pretreatment layer in an organic coating system. The study consists of two parts. In the first part, the anticorrosion performance and interfacial property of silane-pretreated epoxy coatings were studied. The results showed that pretreatment with functional 3-glycidoxypropyl-trimethoxysilane (GPTMS) strongly improves the adhesion of epoxy-coated AA2024-T3 aluminum alloy due to the high interfacial compatibility between silane and epoxy coatings and that pretreatment with nonfunctional bis-1,2-[triethoxysilyl]ethane (BTSE) remarkably reduces the adhesion to the alloy because of low compatibility. Nevertheless, the BTSE film provides higher resistance to corrosion than the GPTMS-pretreated coating system, because the former is more hydrophobic and thicker.
KeywordsOrganic coatings Silane coupling agent Interfacial effect Corrosion resistance
This work was supported by the National Key R&D Program of China (2017YFB1200800), NSF of China (Nos. 51371159 and 51671174) and Natural Science Foundation of Zhejiang Province (LZ17E010001).
- 3.Bahlakeh, G, Ramezanzadeh, B, Ramezanzadeh, M, “New Detailed Insights on the Role of a Novel Praseodymium Nanofilm on the Polymer/Steel Interfacial Adhesion Bonds in Dry and Wet Conditions: An Integrated Molecular Dynamics Simulation and Experimental Study.” J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng., 85 221–236 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Parhizkar, N, Ramezanzadeh, B, Shahrabi, T, “Corrosion Protection and Adhesion Properties of the Epoxy Coating Applied on the Steel Substrate Pre-treated by a Sol-Gel Based Silane Coating Filled with Amino and Isocyanate Silane Functionalized Graphene Oxide Nanosheets.” Appl. Surf. Sci., 439 45–59 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Bahlakeh, G, Ramezanzadeh, B, “A Detailed Molecular Dynamics Simulation and Experimental Investigation on the Interfacial Bonding Mechanism of an Epoxy Adhesive on Carbon Steel Sheets Decorated with a Novel Cerium-Lanthanum Nanofilm.” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 9 17536–17551 (2017)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Wang, X-X, Fu, H-L, Jiang, M-Y, Liu, Y-C, Hu, J-M, “Understanding the Role of Silane Pretreatments in an Organic Coating System. Part 2: A Study of Molecular Dynamics Simulation.” J. Coat. Technol. Res. (in press)Google Scholar
- 25.Zhang, SL, Surface Treatment Technology of Aluminum Alloy, pp. 60–70. Chemical Industry Press, Beijing, 2009Google Scholar
- 27.Hu, JM, Liu, L, Zhang, JT, Zhang, JQ, Cao, CN, “Studies of Surface Treatment of Aluminum Alloys by BTSE Silane Agent.” Acta Metall. Sin., 40 1189–1194 (2004)Google Scholar
- 38.Ramezanzadeh, B, Raeisi, E, Mahdavian, M, “Studying Various Mixtures of 3-Aminopropyltriethoxysilane (APS) and Tetraethylorthosilicate (TEOS) Silanes on the Corrosion Resistance of Mild Steel and Adhesion Properties of Epoxy Coating.” Int. J. Adhesion Adhesives, 63 166–176 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar