Synergistic effect of Ag and ZnO nanoparticles on polyaniline incorporated epoxy/2pack coatings for splash zone applications
- 31 Downloads
In this work, epoxy/2pack coatings containing polyaniline (PANI) in combination with Ag and ZnO nanoparticles have been synthesized. The nanoparticles were incorporated with bisphenol-A diglycidyl ether epoxy resin and polyamino-amide. The mechanical properties of the fabricated coatings, such as the pendulum hardness, scratch resistance, and impact strength, were studied. The composition of the fabricated coatings was confirmed by attenuated total reflectance infrared spectroscopy measurements. The thermal degradation and indentations were characterized through the use of differential scanning calorimetry and nano-indentation techniques, respectively. The surface morphology of the fabricated coatings was characterized using field-emission scanning electron microscopy. The synergistic effects of the Ag and ZnO nanoparticles on the corrosion resistance of the coatings after different exposure periods in 3.5% NaCl solutions were determined by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy. All the results were consistent with one another and confirmed that the addition of Ag and ZnO nanoparticles improved the mechanical properties of the coatings. This effect also led to a notable increase in the corrosion resistance of the PANI coatings.
KeywordsEpoxy coatings Polyaniline Nanoparticles Nano-indentation Corrosion resistance Surface morphology
The authors would like to extend their sincere appreciation to the Deanship of Scientific Research at King Saud University for its funding of this research through the Research Group Project No. RGP-160.
- 1.Samad, UA, Alam, MA, Sherif, El-Sayed M, Alothman, O, Seikh, AH, Al-Zahrani, SM, “Manufacturing and Characterization of Corrosion Resistant Epoxy/2Pack Coatings Incorporated with Polyaniline Conductive Polymer.” Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 10 5599–5613 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Mathiazhagan, A, Joseph, R, “Nanotechnology—A New Prospective in Organic Coating—Review.” Int. J. Chem. Eng. Appl., 2 (4) 225–237 (2011)Google Scholar
- 18.Alam, MA, Sherif, El-Sayed M, Al-Zahrani, SM, “Nanoindentation and Morphological Studies of Epoxy Nanocomposites.” Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 8 8388–8400 (2013)Google Scholar
- 26.Alharthi, N, Sherif, El-Sayed M, Abdo, HS, El-Abedin, SZ, “Effect of Nickel Content on the Corrosion Resistance of Iron-Nickel Alloys in Concentrated Hydrochloric Acid Pickling Solutions.” Adv. Mater. Sci. Eng. (2017). Article ID 1893672, 8 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1893672
- 29.Seikh, AH, Halfa, H, Sherif, El-Sayed M, “Corrosion Resistance Performance of Newly Developed Cobalt-Free Maraging Steel Over Conventional Maraging Steel in Acidic Media.” Adv. Mater. Proc. Technol., 2 283–292 (2016)Google Scholar