Genetic Data, Two-Sided Markets and Dynamic Consent: United States Versus France
- 146 Downloads
Networks for the exchange and/or sharing of genetic data are developing in many countries. We focus here on the situations in the US and France. We highlight some recent and remarkable differences between these two countries concerning the mode of access to, and the storage and use of genetic data, particularly as concerns two-sided markets and dynamic consent or dynamic electronic informed consent (e-IC). This brief overview suggests that, even though the organization and function of these two-sided markets remain open to criticism, dynamic e-IC should be more widely used, especially in France, if only to determine its real effectiveness.
KeywordsGenetic data Two-sided market Dynamic e-IC
Funding was provided by ATIGE.
- AVIESAN. (2016). Plan France Médecine Génomique 2025 [France Genomic Medicine Plan 2025].Google Scholar
- Godard, B., Schmidtke, J., Cassiman, J. J., & Ayme, S. (2003). Data storage and DNA banking for biomedical research: Informed consent, confidentiality, quality issues, ownership, return of benefits A professional perspective. European Journal of Human Genetics, 11(Suppl 2), S88–S122. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejhg.5201114.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Godart, B. (2009). Genomics seen by researchers and leaders from different ethno-cultural communities: Limits on scientific advances in science? In Human, humanity and scientific progress (pp. 35–43). Paris: Dalloz.Google Scholar
- Hervé, C., Stoekle, H. C., & Vogt, G. (2016). «Un marché aux données génétiques » qui interroge [“A genetic data market” that questions]. Le Monde.Google Scholar
- Karlson, E. W., Boutin, N. T., Hoffnagle, A. G., & Allen, N. L. (2016). Building the partners healthcare biobank at partners personalized medicine: Informed consent, return of research results, recruitment lessons and operational considerations. Journal of Personalized Medicine. https://doi.org/10.3390/jpm6010002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stoekle, H. C. (2017). Médecine personnalisé et bioéthique: Enjeux éthiques dans l’échange et le partage des données génétiques [personalized medicine and bioethics: Ethical issues in the exchange and sharing of genetic data] L’Harmattan.Google Scholar
- Villani, C. (2018). Donner un sens à l’intelligence artificielle: Pour une stratégie nationale et européenne [Giving meaning to artificial intelligence: For a national and European strategy].Google Scholar