Editor’s Note: a Brief History of Preventative Antimigraine Therapy (PAMT)
- 33 Downloads
The idea of PAMT has been a concept sought by physicians treating headache and migraine since antiquity and has spawned a number of unique approaches ranging from trepanation in ancient societies to implanting garlic pods under the skin of the forehead as described in the tenth century by abou l’ouasim, to feverfew and application of poultices of millipedes and woodlice by Thomas Willis in the seventeenth century . In the modern era, PAMT begins with methysergide and the work done by Sicuteri , Friedman, Graham, and others beginning in the 1950s. Methysergide was found to have a preventative antimigraine effect but was also found to have many acute and subacute side effects as well as the longer term complications of retroperitoneal, pleuropulmonary, and cardiac fibrosis. These complications limited the use of methysergide as other PAMT agents were identified .
In the late 1960s and 1970s, work by Lance and his group began to test other agents of antihistamine and...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Dr. James Couch is currently serving as section editor for the Headache section of the Current Treatment Options in Neurology journal.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
References and Recommended Reading
- 1.Silberstein SD, Lipton RB, Goadsby PJ. Headache in clinical practice. 2nd ed. London: Martin Dunitz, Ltd; 2002. p. p1–8.Google Scholar
- 2.Sicuteri F. Prophylactic and therapeutic properties of l-methyl-lysergic acid butalnoamide in migraine. Int Arch Allergy. 1959;15:78–93.Google Scholar
- 7.International Headache Society. Classification and diagnostic criteria for headache disorders, cranial neuralgia, and facial pain. Cephalalgia. 1988;8(Suppl. 7):1–96.Google Scholar
- 15.Diener HC, Tfelt-Hansen P, Dahlof C. Topiramate in migraine prophylaxis. J Neurol. 2004;250:943–50.Google Scholar
- 16.Dodick DW, Turkel CC, DeGryse RE, Silberstein SD, Lipton RB, Aurora SK, et al. PREEMPT 1 chronic migraine study group. OnabotulinumtoxinA for treatment of chronic migraine: results from the double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled phase of the PREEMPT 1 trial. Cephalalgia. 2010;30(7):793–803.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Diener HC, Dodick DW, Aurora SK, Turkel CC, DeGryse RE, Lipton RB, et al. PREEMPT 2 Chronic Migraine Study Group. OnabotulinumtoxinA for treatment of chronic migraine: results from the double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled phase of the PREEMPT 2 trial. Cephalalgia. 2010;30(7):804–14.CrossRefGoogle Scholar