Gender-Affirming Surgery: Current Concepts
- 684 Downloads
Gender-affirming surgeries (GASs), previously known as gender reassignment surgeries, are surgical procedures born from plastic and reconstructive surgery, colorectal surgery, urology, and gynecology. A multidisciplinary approach is essential for the care of transgender patients. The urologist plays a vital role, both in the perioperative period and as part of continued care. This publication will review the current concepts of genital GAS as it pertains to the practicing urologist. The most utilized surgical techniques will be described along with their notable complications and management options.
KeywordsGender-affirming surgery Gender dysphoria Vaginoplasty Phalloplasty Transsexual Genitourinary reconstruction
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Shu Pan and Stanton C. Honig each declare no potential conflicts of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 2.• Flores, A. R., Herman, J. L., Gates, G. J., & Brown, T. N. T. (2016). How Many Adults Identify as Transgender in the United States? Retrieved 1/31/2018, from the Williams Institute from website. https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/How-Many-Adults-Identifyas-Transgender-in-the-United-States.pdf Study examining the number of invididuals identifying as transgender.
- 4.Paul Weiss, M., & Loren Schechter, M. (2015). Coding for sex-reassignment surgery is evolving. Retrieved 3/9/2018, from Plastic Surgery News. http://www.psenetwork.org/Assets/72f9fedb-b5c7-4260-a423-12d1701b0a29/635622138002900000/3-15-coding-for-sex-reassignment-surgery-is-evolvingv2-1-pdf
- 5.•• Canner, J. K., Harfouch, O., Kodadek, L. M., Pelaez, D., Coon, D., Offodile, A. C., 2nd, Lau, B.D. (2018). Temporal Trends in Gender-Affirming Surgery Among Transgender Patients in the United States. JAMA Surg. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.6231 First study looking at utilization of gender-affirming surgery in the USA using national inpatient sampling.
- 6.Eli Coleman P, et al. Standards of care for the health of transsexual. Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People v7. 2011.Google Scholar
- 7.•• Maurice Garcia, M., MAS, Philip Thomas, F., Nim A. Christopher, F., & FRCS, D. J. R. (2017). Genital Gender Affirming Surgery for Transgender Patients. in AUA Update Series 2017, Lesson 5 Volume 36, p43-54. (Excellent review of current literature regarding gender affirming surgeries.)Google Scholar
- 16.Manrique, O. J., Sabbagh, M. D., Ciudad, P., Martinez-Jorge, J., Kiranantawat, K., Sitpahul, N., Chen, H. C. (2017). Gender Confirmation Surgery Using the Pedicle Transverse Colon Flap for Vaginal Reconstruction: A Clinical Outcome and Sexual Function Evaluation Study. Plast Reconstr Surg. https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000004122
- 17.Dessy LA, Mazzocchi M, Corrias F, Ceccarelli S, Marchese C, Scuderi N. The use of cultured autologous oral epithelial cells for vaginoplasty in male-to-female transsexuals: a feasibility, safety, and advantageousness clinical pilot study. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014;133(1):158–61.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Marfori, C. Q., Wu, C. Z., Katler, Q., Kotzen, M., Samimi, P., & Siedhoff, M. T. (2017). Hysterectomy for the Transgendered Male: Review of Perioperative Considerations and Surgical Techniques with Description of a Novel 2-Port Laparoscopic Approach. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmig.2017.09.008
- 25.• Frey JD, Poudrier G, Chiodo MV, Hazen A. A systematic review of metoidioplasty and radial forearm flap Phalloplasty in female-to-male transgender genital reconstruction: is the “ideal” neophallus an achievable goal? Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2016;4(12):e1131. Excellent systematic review of FtM reconstruction. CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar