Surgical Management of Fossa Navicularis and Distal Urethral Strictures
Purpose of Review
Urethral reconstruction has evolved in the last several decades with the introduction of various techniques including fasciocutaneous skin flaps and buccal mucosal grafts. However, distal urethral strictures have continued to be a reconstructive challenge due to tendency for adverse cosmetic outcomes, risks of glans dehiscence or fistula formation, and stricture recurrence.
The surgical options for treatment of distal urethral strictures have changed throughout the years; however, there is no one universally accepted technique for their treatment. The current trend for treatment is shifting away from multi-staged procedures or the use of local skin flaps to single-stage transurethral procedures that utilize buccal mucosa with glans preservation.
This chapter will describe the evolution of distal urethral stricture treatments tracking gradual improvements and modifications over time. The different interventions include transurethral approaches, such as dilations and visual urethrotomy, meatotomy, and meatoplasty/urethroplasty techniques including genital skin flaps and single- and double-stage repairs with buccal mucosal grafts.
KeywordsUrethral reconstruction Fossa navicularis stricture Distal urethral stricture Buccal mucosal graft Tissue flap Balanitis xerotica obliterans
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Michael Daneshvar, Michael Hughes, and Dmitriy Nikolavsky each declare no potential conflicts of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 3.Stein MJ, DeSouza RA. Anterior urethral stricture review. Transl Androl Urol. 2013;2(1):32–8. https://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.2223-4683.2012.11.05. PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 5.Zeller S, Vetterlein MW, Fisch M, Kluth LA. Meatal and glandular urethral strictures. Urologe A. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00120-017-0555-5.
- 7.Mertziotis N, Kozyrakis D, Kyratsas C, Konandreas AA. Prospective study of bipolar transurethral resection of prostate comparing the efficiency and safety of the method in large and small adenomas. Adv Urol. 2015;2015:251879. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/251879.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 8.Gunes M, Keles MO, Kaya C, Koca O, Sertkaya Z, Akyuz M, et al. Does resectoscope size play a role in formation of urethral stricture following transurethral prostate resection? Int Braz J Urol. 2015;41(4):744–9. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1677-5538.IBJU.2014.0093.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 23.Kluth LA, Ernst L, Vetterlein MW, Meyer CP, Reiss CP, Fisch M, et al. Direct vision internal urethrotomy for short anterior urethral strictures and beyond: success rates, predictors of treatment failure, and recurrence management. Urology. 2017;106:210–5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2017.04.037.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Nikolavsky D, Abouelleil M, Daneshvar M. Transurethral ventral buccal mucosa graft inlay urethroplasty for reconstruction of fossa navicularis and distal urethral strictures: surgical technique and preliminary results. Int Urol Nephrol. 2016;48(11):1823–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11255-016-1381-1.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.• Onol SY, Onol FF, Gumus E, Topaktas R, Erdem MR. Reconstruction of distal urethral strictures confined to the glans with circular buccal mucosa graft. Urology. 2012;79(5):1158–62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2012.01.046. First reconstructive technique that describes a transmeatal approach to urethroplasty without the inclusion of genital skin. CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 39.•• Virasoro R, Eltahawy EA, Jordan GH. Long-term follow-up for reconstruction of strictures of the fossa navicularis with a single technique. BJU Int. 2007;100(5):1143–5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2007.07078.x. Long-term follow up of Jordan's initial technique for the treatment of FNS. PubMedGoogle Scholar