Use of Rituximab in the Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- 712 Downloads
B cells are promising targets for treatment in autoimmune diseases. Rituximab, a chimeric anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody that depletes B cells, is approved for use in rheumatoid arthritis and is often used to treat refractory autoimmune thrombocytopenia. There is increasing interest in using rituximab in other autoimmune diseases, including the antiphospholipid syndrome. We reviewed the published clinical experience of rituximab use in patients with the antiphospholipid syndrome. Data are limited to case reports and small case series. In 19 of 21 reported cases, rituximab appeared to have a beneficial clinical effect. Antiphospholipid antibodies levels were significantly decreased in ten of 12 cases. Controlled clinical trials are needed to determine if rituximab is effective in the antiphospholipid syndrome.
KeywordsAntiphospholipid Anticardiolipin Lupus anticoagulant Rituximab B cells
Dr. Roubey is a consultant for Quest Diagnostics.
No further potential conflict of interest relevant to this article was reported.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance
- 10.Furie R, Looney RJ, Bovin B, et al.: Efficacy and safety of rituximab in subjects with active proliferative lupus nephritis (LN): results from the randomized, double-blind phase III LUNAR study [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2009, 60.Google Scholar
- 11.Merrill JT, Buyon JP, Furie R, et al.: Flare assessment in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) patients treated with rituximab in the phase II/II EXPLORER trial [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2009, 60.Google Scholar
- 12.• Coca A, Sanz I: B cell depletion in lupus and Sjogren’s syndrome: an update. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2009, 21:483–488. This article provides an up-to-date review of B cell depletion therapy in systemic lupus erythematosus and Sjögren’s syndrome, including a discussion of recent randomized controlled trials.Google Scholar
- 15.Erdozain JG, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Egurbide MV, Aguirre C: Sustained response to rituximab of autoimmune hemolytic anemia associated with antiphospholipid syndrome. Haematologica 2004, 89:ECR34.Google Scholar
- 19.ClinicalTrials.gov: A pilot study of rituximab for the anticoagulation resistant manifestations of antiphospholipid syndrome (RITAPS). Available at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00537290. Accessed on December 4, 2009.
- 23.Binstadt BA, Caldas AM, Turvey SE, et al.: Rituximab therapy for multisystem autoimmune diseases in pediatric patients. J Pediatr 2003, 143:598–604. (Published erratum appears in J Pediatr 2004, 144:558.)Google Scholar
- 24.Veneri D, Ambrosetti A, Franchini M, et al.: Remission of severe antiphospholipid syndrome associated with non-Hodgkin’s B-cell lymphoma after combined treatment with rituximab and chemotherapy. Haematologica 2005, 90:ECR37.Google Scholar
- 31.• Erre GL, Pardini S, Faedda R, Passiu G: Effect of rituximab on clinical and laboratory features of antiphospholipid syndrome: a case report and a review of literature. Lupus 2008, 17:50–55. This case report includes a very good summary of previously published cases of rituximab use in APS.Google Scholar