Hypertension and Pre-Hypertension Among Iranian Adults Population: a Meta-Analysis of Prevalence, Awareness, Treatment, and Control
- 51 Downloads
Purpose of Review
This meta-analysis and systematic review was conducted to evaluate hypertension and prehypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control in Iranian adults population.
In this study, six international and national databases were searched from inception until August 30, 2018. Forty-eight studies performed on 417,392 participants were included in the meta-analysis. Based on the results of random effect method (95% CI), the overall prevalence of pre-hypertension, hypertension, awareness, treatment, and control were 31.6% (95% CI 24.9, 38.3; I2 = 99.7%), 20.4% (95% CI 16.5, 24.4; I2 = 99.9%), 49.3% (95% CI 44.8, 53.8; I2 = 98.5%), 44.8% (95% CI 28.3, 61.2; I2 = 99.9%), 37.4% (95% CI 29.0, 45.8; I2 = 99.3%), respectively.
Considering the increasing prevalence of pre-hypertension, hypertension, as well as more than half of the participants were unaware of their disease and were not treated, the results of the present study can help policy-makers to increase hypertension awareness, control, and treatment, especially in high-risk individuals.
KeywordsAdults Prehypertension Prevalence Iran Hypertension Awareness
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare no conflicts of interest relevant to this manuscript.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 2.Federation WH. Cardiovascular disease risk factors. 2015. http://www.world-heart-federation.org/cardiovascular-health/cardiovascular-disease-risk-factors. Accessed 27 september 2018.
- 9.Sarraf Zadegan N, Boshtam M, Mostafavi S, Rafiei M. Prevalence of hypertension and associated risk factors in Isfahan, Islamic Republic of Iran. 1999.Google Scholar
- 17.James PA, Oparil S, Carter BL, Cushman WC, Dennison-Himmelfarb C, Handler J, et al. 2014 evidence-based guideline for the management of high blood pressure in adults: report from the panel members appointed to the eighth joint National Committee (JNC 8). JAMA. 2014;311(5):507–20.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.America N. Guidelines set new definitions, update treatment for hypertension. Bull World Health Organ. 1999;77(3).Google Scholar
- 21.• Isfeedvajani MS, Zarchi AAK, Heris AM, Sajjadi F, Tavana AM. Evaluation of personnel blood pressure and its risk factors in university affiliated medical centers: Irans Health Day 2013. Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2014;28(1).Google Scholar
- 22.Delavari A, Horri N, Alikhani S, Gouya M, Mahdavi A, Hosseini S, et al. Prevalence of hypertension in Iranian urban and rural populations aged over 20 years in 2004. JMUMS. 2007;17(58):79–86.Google Scholar
- 25.Agheli N. Evaluation of risk factors of cardiovascular diseases in the Iranian population: role of hypertriglyceridemia. Angeiologie. 2006;58(3):24–7.Google Scholar
- 26.Amani S, Rahmani K, Ghaderi E, Bidarpour F, Rahimzadeh A, Rasaeian S. Prevalence of non-communicable diseases risk factors among the population of rural areas of Kurdistan Province, in Iran: a population-based study by rapid assessment method in 2015. Sci J Kurdistan Univ Med Sci. 2017;22(4):101–10.Google Scholar
- 27.Arefi SH, Hagh MHB, Naghavi M, Kassaian SE, Mar'Ashie SS, Mortazavi F, et al. Prevalence, patient awareness and control rates of high blood pressure in the adult population of Tehran: a report from the Tehran blood pressure study, 1990-1991. Med J Islam Repub Iran. 1996;10(2):125–35.Google Scholar
- 29.Azizi A, Abasi M, Abdoli G. The prevalence of hypertension and its association with age, sex and BMI in a population being educated using community-based medicine in Kermanshah: 2003. Iran J Endocrinol Metab. 2008;10(4):323–9.Google Scholar
- 30.Azizi F, Ghanbarian A. Distribution of blood pressure in Tehran's adult population: Tehran lipid and glucose study. Iran J Endocrinol Metab. 2003;5(4):425–35.Google Scholar
- 34.Dabghmanesh M, Mostafavi H, Zare N. Blood pressure levels, risk factors and hypertension control status in adult. Hormozgan Med J. 2007;11(1):41–9.Google Scholar
- 35.Eghbali M, Khosravi A, Feizi A, Mansouri A, Mahaki B, Sarrafzadegan N. Prevalence, awareness, treatment, control, and risk factors of hypertension among adults: a cross-sectional study in Iran. Epidemiol Health. 2018;40:e2018020. https://doi.org/10.4178/epih.e2018020.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 36.Fakhrzadeh H, Bandarian F, Adibi H, Samavat T, Malekafzali H, Hodjatzadeh E, et al. Coronary heart disease and associated risk factors in Qazvin: a population-based study. Eastern Mediterranean health journal = La revue de sante de la Mediterranee orientale = al-Majallah al-sihhiyah li-sharq al-mutawassit. 2008;14(1):33–41.Google Scholar
- 37.Fakhrzadeh H, Nouri M, Pour-Ebrahim R, Ghotbi S, Heshmat R, Bastanhagh M. Prevalence of hypertension and correlated risk factors among 25-64 aged inhabitants of Tehran university of medical sciences population lab region. IJDLD. 2004;3(0):37–43.Google Scholar
- 40.Ghorbani R, Askandarian R, Malek M, Rashidy-Pour A. Prevalence of hypertension among the adult population of Semnan province. Iran J Endocrinol Metab. 2009;10(5).Google Scholar
- 41.Ghorbani Z, Shamshirgaran SM, Ghaffari S, Sarbakhsh P, Najafipour F, Aminisani N. Hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment and its correlates among people 35 years and older: result from pilot phase of the Azar cohort study. J Educ Health Promot. 2018;7:45. https://doi.org/10.4103/jehp.jehp_118_17.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 42.Goodarzi M, Maseiainegad N. Outbreak of hypertension in the population over 18 years old in Zabol. Zahedan J Res Med Sci. 2002;4(4):9–15.Google Scholar
- 44.Heydari ST, Khoshdel AR, Sabayan B, Abtahi F, Zamirian M, Sedaghat S. Prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors among military personnel in Southern Iran. Iran Cardiovasc Res J. 2010;4(1):22–7.Google Scholar
- 47.Kelishadi R, Gharipour M, Sadri GH, Tavasoli AA, Amani A. Cardiovascular disease risk factors, metabolic syndrome and obesity in an Iranian population. Eastern Mediterranean health journal = La revue de sante de la Mediterranee orientale = al-Majallah al-sihhiyah li-sharq al-mutawassit. 2008;14(5):1070–9.Google Scholar
- 49.Khani M, Vakili M, Ansari A, Mosavinasab N. Prevalence of hypertension and some related risk factors in rural population affiliated to Tarom health network in 2001. J Zanjan Univ Med Sci. 2002;10(40):23–9.Google Scholar
- 50.Khoshandam Sarvynehbaghi F, Reza Mozaffari SA, Yaghoubi Poor A, Nezamtabar MA. Prevalence of hypertension among professional drivers in Mazandaran province, 2010. JMUMS. 2013;23(102):24–9.Google Scholar
- 52.Najafipour H, Mirzazadeh A, Haghdoost AA, Shadkam M, Afshari M, Moazenzadeh M, et al. Coronary artery disease risk factors in an urban and pen-urban setting, Kerman, southeastern Iran (KERCADR study): methodology and preliminary report. Iran J Public Health. 2012;41(9):86–92.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 54.Pakzad B, Akbari M, Baberi F. Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in an Isfahan state institution sample. J Tehran Uni Heart Cent. 2018;13(2):65–72.Google Scholar
- 55.Peymani P, Heydari ST, Ahmadi SM, Sarikhani Y, Joulaei H, Moghadami M, et al. The prevalence of high blood pressure and its relationship with anthropometric indicators; a population based study in Fars Province. IR Iran Iran Cardiovasc Res J. 2012;6(2):40–5.Google Scholar
- 56.Ramezani MA, Dastanpour M, Eshaghi SR, Fadaee-Nobari R, Heydari K. Determinants of awareness, treatment and control of hypertension in Isfahan. Central Iran Arch Med Sci. 2009;5(4):523–30.Google Scholar
- 57.Ramezankhani A, Kabir A, Pournik O, Azizi F, Hadaegh F. Classification-based data mining for identification of risk patterns associated with hypertension in Middle Eastern population: A 12-year longitudinal study. Medicine. 2016;95(35). https://doi.org/10.1097/md.0000000000004143.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 60.Sahraki MR, Mirshekari H, Sahraki AR, Mohammadi M, Sahraki E, Khazaei FA. Hypertension among 30+ year-old people in Zahedan (Southeast of Iran). Shiraz E Med J. 2011;12(3):129–34.Google Scholar
- 62.Tabrizi JS, Sadeghi-Bazargani H, Farahbakhsh M, Nikniaz L, Nikniaz Z. Prevalence and associated factors of prehypertension and hypertension in Iranian population: the lifestyle promotion project (LPP). PLoS One. 2016;11(10):e0165264. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0165264.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 63.• Mirzaei M, Moayedallaie S, Jabbari L, Mohammadi M. Prevalence of hypertension in Iran 1980–2012: a systematic review. J Tehran Univ Heart Cent. 2016;11(4):159.Google Scholar