The “National Integrated Medical Imaging System” [NIMIS]—friend, not nimesis!
- 45 Downloads
The “National Integrated Medical Imaging System” or NIMIS went live in 2011 and allows the movement of patient radiology imaging throughout the Irish health system. At the time of its launch, NIMIS was not only going to allow the filmless passage of patient radiology imaging but it was also envisaged that it would act as a medical image archive. The aim of this study was to assess the awareness and use of non-consultant hospital doctors and hospital consultants with regard to this medical image archive/referral function of NIMIS.
A survey was carried out on 50 doctors across all specialities and grades at Tullamore Hospital looking at different aspects of the use of NIMIS.
Ninety-four percent of respondents use NIMIS on a daily basis and 6% use it on a weekly basis. The primary reason for using NIMIS was found to be “Viewing and Ordering Imaging” in 92% of those surveyed with 8% stating it was “Viewing imaging/reports”. Ninety-eight percent surveyed said they had never used NIMIS to send a referral form or clinical photograph and 82% were not aware of this potential function. The majority of those surveyed stated that they either agreed or strongly agreed NIMIS is user-friendly.
NIMIS allows the safe and confidential flow of patient images and clinical information in the Irish health system. It could provide definite potential in the areas of clinical conferencing, multidisciplinary meetings and remote patient assessment along with collaborative research and education.
KeywordsClinical conferencing Data protection National Integrated Medical Imaging System NIMIS
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Ethical approval was not required for the study as it was an anonymised service evaluation.
- 1.What will NIMIS deliver for the health system? - Ireland's Health. https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/nimis/delivery/
- 2.O’Hare N Introduction to the NIMIS project. https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/nimis/documents-downloads/launch.pdf
- 3.Smith J, Kok HK, Torreggiani WC (2016) Examining the end-user experience of the National Integrated Medical Imaging System (NIMIS). IMJ 109:1Google Scholar
- 4.Sheehy N NIMIS Solution. https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/nimis/documents-downloads/solution.pdf
- 5.National Integrated Medical Imaging System, Office of the Chief Information Officer, HSE, Nexus Building, Dublin 15, IrelandGoogle Scholar
- 20.EU GDPR Information Portal (2018) EU GDPR Portal. Available from: https://www.eugdpr.org/