Optimization of Spark Plasma Sintering Parameters Using the Taguchi Method for Developing Mg-Based Composites
- 36 Downloads
A magnesium-based metal matrix composite incorporated with 2.5 wt.% TiB2 has been fabricated using spark plasma sintering for the first time. The Taguchi design approach was used to analyze the significant influences of sintering parameters such as the temperature, pressure, and time on the physical and mechanical properties of Mg-based composites. Analysis of variance was used to investigate the effect of each sintering parameter. X-ray diffraction and field-emission scanning electron microscopy equipped with energy-dispersive x-ray spectroscopy were used for structure and microstructure analysis. Rockwell hardness (HR) and Vickers hardness (HV) were used to evaluate the mechanical properties of the composite. The results showed that, in the case of microhardness, all the sintering parameters were controlling factors, and the sintering temperature was the most significant factor. The maximum values obtained for the densification, Rockwell hardness, and Vickers hardness were 100%, 62.18 HR, and 58.6 HV, respectively.
The authors acknowledge the King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) and Center of Research Excellence in Corrosion for providing the support to conduct this research.
- 2.E.P. DeGarmo, J.T. Black, R.A. Kohser, and B.E. Klamecki, Materials and Process in Manufacturing, 9th ed. (Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall, 1997).Google Scholar
- 30.C.A. Stüpp, G. Szakács, C.L. Mendis, F. Gensch, S. Müller, F. Feyerabend, D. Hotza, M.C. Fredel, and N. Hort, Magnesium Technology (Cham: Springer, 2015), pp. 425–429.Google Scholar
- 47.T. Chartier and A. Badev, Handbook of Advanced Ceramics: Chapter 6.5. Rapid Prototyping of Ceramics (Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2013).Google Scholar
- 52.S. Mavruz and R. Oğulata, Fibres Text. East. Eur. 18, 78 (2010).Google Scholar
- 54.P. Sahoo, A. Pratap, and A. Bandyopadhyay, Int. J. Ind. Eng. Comput. 8, 385 (2017).Google Scholar