Microstructures and Mechanical Properties of Extruded Mg-Ho-Zn Alloys with Different Ho/Zn Ratios
- 43 Downloads
The microstructures and mechanical properties of as-extruded Mg-Ho-Zn alloys with various Ho/Zn ratios have been investigated. The grain size is refined with increasing Ho addition. The presence of second phase in the alloys, i.e., long-period stacking ordered (LPSO) phase and W-phase, is dependent on the Ho/Zn ratio. The strength of the alloys decreased as the test temperature was increased. Among the experimental alloys, the alloy containing LPSO-phase exhibited the best comprehensive mechanical properties at both room and high temperatures, due to the high plasticity and good thermal stability of the LPSO-phase. Related mechanisms were analyzed via metallographic and fractographic examination and then discussed. A schematic diagram was established to further reflect the different roles of W-phase and LPSO-phase in the fracture behavior of the alloys.
This work is supported by the Science and Technology Project of Education Department of Jilin Province and National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 51201068 and 51705033).
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.H.L. Ding, L.F. Liu, S. Kamado, W.J. Ding, and Y. Kojim, J. Alloys Compd. 456, 406 (2008).Google Scholar
- 7.J.L. Li, D. Wu, R.S. Chen, and E.H. Han, JOM 71, 2017 (2019).Google Scholar
- 9.G.L. Bi, D.Q. Fang, L. Zhao, J.S. Lian, Q. Jiang, and Z.H. Jiang, Mater. Sci. Eng. A 528, 3611 (2011).Google Scholar
- 17.J.F. Wang, S. Gao, P.F. Song, X.F. Huang, Z.Z. Shi, and F.S. Pan, J. Alloys Compd. 509, 8571 (2011).Google Scholar
- 18.C.M. Liu, X.R. Zhu, and H.T. Zhou, Phase diagram of magnesium alloys, 2010 (Hunan: Central South University Press, 2006), pp. 24–29.Google Scholar
- 23.J.A. Liu, M.L. Yang, X.R. Zhang, D.Q. Fang, C.J. Che, and A.J. Zou, Mater. Charact. 149, 199 (2019).Google Scholar
- 24.J.F. Wang, P.F. Song, S. Gao, Y.Y. Wei, and F.S. Pan, J. Mater. Sci. 47, 2006 (2012).Google Scholar
- 25.Y.F. Wang, F. Zhang, Y.T. Wang, Y.B. Duan, K.J. Wang, W.J. Zhang, and J. Hu, Mater. Sci. Eng. A 745, 155 (2019).Google Scholar
- 28.Y.M. Zhu, A.J. Morton, and J.F. Nie, Acta Mater. 58, 2940 (2010).Google Scholar
- 37.J.W. Liu, X.D. Peng, M.L. Li, G.B. Wei, W.D. Xie, and Y. Yang, Mater. Sci. Eng. A 655, 336 (2016).Google Scholar
- 38.K. Liu, J.H. Zhang, H.Y. Lu, D.X. Tang, L.L. Rokhlin, F.M. Elkin, and J. Meng, Mater. Design 31, 217 (2010).Google Scholar
- 39.Y.F. Jiao, J.H. Zhang, Y.B. Jing, C. Xu, S.J. Liu, L. Zhang, L.J. Xu, M.L. Zhang, and R.Z. Wu, Adv. Eng. Mater. 17, 881 (2015).Google Scholar
- 41.B. Chen, D.L. Lin, X.Q. Zeng, and C. Lu, Mater. Sci. Forum 546–549, 239 (2007).Google Scholar