A Novel Method of Smelting a Mixture of Two Types of Laterite Ore to Prepare Ferronickel
- 14 Downloads
A novel method of smelting a mixture of two types of laterite ore (saprolitic and limonitic) to prepare ferronickel has been investigated. Thermodynamic analysis revealed that the melting temperature of the slag phase dropped below 1400°C with increasing FeO content, which can be regulated by adjusting the ratio of limonite and the carbon content. The experimental results also proved that the melting degree of the reduced pellets increased with increasing limonitic laterite ratio and that the reduction as well as magnetic separation was enhanced when the reduction was carried out in the presence of limonitic laterite ore. A ferronickel product with 8.08 wt.% Ni, 80.09 wt.% Fe, and 3.75 wt.% C was prepared by heating the mixture to 1380°C in the presence of 6 wt.% carbon content and 5 wt.% limonitic laterite ore, followed by magnetic separation. The Ni and Fe recoveries were 89.26% and 81.64 wt.%, respectively.
The authors wish to express their thanks to the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51904047 and 51234010) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (Projects Nos. 2018CDXYCL0018 and 2018CDPTCG0001/11) for financial support of this research.
- 5.D.Q. Zhu, Y. Cui, K. Vining, S. Hapugoda, J. Douglas, J. Pan, and G.L. Zheng, Int. J. Miner. Process. 93, 1 (2011).Google Scholar
- 6.J.B. Chen and J.H. Xu, Mod. Min. 25, 1 (2006).Google Scholar
- 7.S.W. Zhang, S.B. Xie, and A.D. Xu, World Nonferrous Met. 11, 9 (2003).Google Scholar
- 9.W. Liang, H. Wang, J.G. Fu, and Z.X. He, J. Cent. South Univ. 42, 2173 (2011).Google Scholar
- 12.Z.C. Cao, T.C. Sun, H.F. Yang, J.J. Wang, and X.D. Wu, J. Univ. Sci. Technol. Beijing 6, 708 (2010).Google Scholar
- 13.Z.H. Liu, X.B. Ma, D.Q. Zhu, Y.H. Li, and Q.H. Li, J. Cent. South Univ. 10, 2905 (2011).Google Scholar
- 16.C. Pan, C.G. Bai, X.W. Lv, M.L. Hu, and T. Hu, Metal. Int. 16, 5 (2011).Google Scholar
- 19.I. Kobayashi, Y. Tanigaki, and A. Uragami, Iron Steelmak. 28, 19 (2001).Google Scholar
- 22.G.H. Tao, F. Xiao, and W. Jiang, Nonferrous Met. (Extr. Metall.) 8, 51 (2014).Google Scholar