Sodium-Salt-Assisted Reductive Roasting for Separation and Enrichment of Valuable Components from Lateritic Iron Ore
- 49 Downloads
The dual effect of sodium-salt-assisted reductive roasting for iron recovery and chromium enrichment from lateritic iron ore was investigated. Iron oxides were reduced to metallic iron through reductive roasting, while Al- and Si-bearing components were transformed to sodium aluminosilicate and/or diaoyudaoite. Thus, direct reduced iron (DRI) was recovered by magnetic separation, while Cr(III) element was enriched as nontoxic picotite in a Cr-bearing concentrate through sulfuric acid leaching. Na2CO3 was preferred due to its positive effect in activating Al- and Si-bearing components and contribution to good chromium enrichment. In contrast, Na2SO4 exhibited a stronger ability to improve the growth of metallic iron, resulting in better magnetic separation. Addition of Na2SO4 generally led to inferior aluminum leaching performance due to the formation of insoluble diaoyudaoite (NaAl11O17). When using combined addition of sodium salts in the optimized proportion in reductive roasting, DRI with 89.21% Fe and chromium concentrate with 40.42% Cr2O3 were obtained.
Financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51174230, 51234008 and 51804346) and Hunan Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 2019JJ50806) is gratefully acknowledged.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.National Research Council (National Research Council of the National Academies, Washington, DC, 2008) www.nap.edu
- 16.P.T.D.S.E. Silva, N.T.D. Mello, M.M.M. Duarte, M.C.S.S.M. Montenegro, A.N. Alberto, B.N. Barros, and V.L. Silva, J. Hazard. Mater., 128, 39 (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.R. Thirumalachari and S.K. Janardhanan, Google Patents (2007)Google Scholar
- 18.S.K. Janardhanan and R. Thirumalachari, Google Patents (2007)Google Scholar
- 25.D.L. Ye, Practical Handbook of Thermodynamical Data for Inorganic Substances (Metallurgical Industry Press, Beijing 1981) (in Chinese) Google Scholar