Influence of the Tungsten Content on the Elastic Modulus of New Ti-15Mo-W Alloys Intended for Medical Applications
- 56 Downloads
A study has been carried out on the elastic modulus of cast ternary Ti-15Mo-W alloys (containing 4 up to 11 wt.% W). Tungsten was added to the Ti-15Mo alloy to improve the mechanical properties. The influence of tungsten content on the elastic modulus is discussed more thoroughly, along with other mechanical properties. Samples were obtained by successive melting using pure metals in vacuum arc re-melting equipment. The alloy microstructure proved to be homogeneous showing the β-phase predominance. The modulus of elasticity was determined by mechanical compression tests. The samples showed no cracks, having super-plasticity characteristics similar to other titanium alloys. According to the tests, the samples showed good mechanical properties. The values obtained ranged from 248–327 HV for microhardness, 782–921 MPa for compressive strength and 17.86–45.35 GPa for the elastic modulus.
This work has been supported by The National Grant GNaC2018 ARUT. We hereby acknowledge the research funds project GNaC2018 ARUT (Internal No. SM 35-18-02/2018) for providing the infrastructure used in this work and the project.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.M. Niinomi, Y. Liu, M. Nakai, H. Liu, and H. Li, Regen. Biomater. 173 (2016).Google Scholar
- 3.P.M. Hashemi, E. Borhani, and M.S. Nourbakhsh, Nanomed. J. 3, 202 (2016).Google Scholar
- 4.R.M. Pilliar, Metallic Biomaterials. Biomedical Materials, ed. R. Narayan (New York, NY: Springer, 2009), p. 54.Google Scholar
- 6.M.G. Minciuna, P. Vizureanu, D.C. Achitei, N. Ghiban, A.V. Sandu, and N.C. Forna, Rev. Chim. 65, 335 (2014).Google Scholar
- 7.A. Ghiban, M. Buzatu, B. Ghiban, and S. Ciucă, U.P.B. Sci. Bull. Ser. B 77, 299 (2015).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Dinu, M. Târcolea, M. Cojocaru, A.I. Gherghilescu, and C.M. Cotruţ, U.P.B. Sci. Bull. Ser. B 77, 149 (2015).Google Scholar
- 9.R.M. Angelescu, D. Răducanu, V.D. Cojocaru, M.L. Angelescu, M. Buţu, I. Cincă, and I. Dan, U.P.B. Sci. Bull. Ser. B 77, 221 (2015).Google Scholar
- 12.R.M. Angelescu, C. Cotruţ, A. Nocivin, V.D. Cojocaru, D. Răducanu, M.L. Angelescu, and I. Cincă, U.P.B. Sci. Bull. Ser. B 77, 237 (2015).Google Scholar
- 20.A.H.G. Mohamed, I. Mervat, and K. Sengo, Adv. Mat. Res. 1024, 308 (2014).Google Scholar
- 21.M.T. Mohammed, Z.A. Khan, and A.N. Siddiquee, Int. J. Chem. Nuclear Metall. Mater. Eng. 8, 726 (2014).Google Scholar
- 28.M.S. Bălţatu, P. Vizureanu, M.H. Ţierean, M.G. Minciună, and D.C. Achiţei, Adv. Mat. Res. 1128, 105 (2015).Google Scholar
- 34.M. Buzatu, Ş.I. Ghica, M.I. Petrescu, V. Geantă, R. Ştefănoiu, G. Iacob, M. Buţu, and E. Vasile, Mater. Plast. 54, 596 (2017).Google Scholar
- 36.M. Buzatu, Ş.I. Ghica, E. Vasile, V. Geantă, R. Ştefănoiu, M.I. Petrescu, G. Iacob, and M. Buţu, U.P.B. Sci. Bull. Ser. B 78, 161 (2016).Google Scholar